I love this hobby (and learning)...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Warren White

... my, my, my! The lessons I have learned with this fantastic hobby. Let me count just a few of the ways:

1. People on this forum are really, really helpful. I come to the forum several times each day (I am retired), and always come away with something. I have asked questions and always received great guidance. I will continue to use your help.
2. I just learned never to be satisfied with an "it's OK" finish. I did two Padauk pens recently and when the first was finished it looked "OK." I was certain I could do better and I DID! It took several extra do-over steps, but the second pen was absolutely flawless. I applied this lesson again today with a CSI fancy slimline. Top of the pen was great; bottom of the pen had some blemishes. I redid the bottom and it looked like it should have in the first place. Perhaps others don't need to learn this lesson, but I did.
3. I believe I have expressed my concerns about using Delryn bushings when applying CA finish. I have repented of this opinion since learning that it was my sloppy application of CA that caused my problems when I tried Delryn bushings the first and second time. When I apply the CA properly, they are GREAT. I won't do it any other way from now on.
4. Please don't ROFL on this next one. I hesitated putting this out for everyone to read, but I really did this! NEVER, NEVER, EVER put the cap of a CA glue bottle in your mouth and blow on it to get that little plug out of the end. The resulting blow-back gets your mouth, your lips, your tongue, your teeth and anything that passes for teeth in your mouth. Using Acetone on a cloth to get it off isn't a good idea either. Just grab it and pull it off (along with some skin and tongue). Reminds me of the time I put my hand in the "Don't put your hand in this chute while the mower is running" episode. My wife just walked away shaking her head while the lights went out for a minute or two....

This craft allows me to express my creativity in ways that nothing else has before. And yes, it allows me to screw up once in a while, and unfortunately that isn't brand new to me.

I hope you good folks will still let me come and play on this forum. Just because I am really stupid every once in a while, I still have a good heart.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

Sounds like a polish terrorist.......burned his lips on the tail pipe when he tried to blow up the car.

We have all done silly (stupid) things. The brave ones are those people that can admit it.
I once had an order for "Alan Black" and the date of death. I put it (the date) on the tombstone and then seen the "MRS" in front of the name.

Needless to say, I had to replace that stone.

Glad you are learning so much and willing to share some of it with us Warren

Last edited:

Rink

Yep, we've all got some "learned the hard way" lessons. I've become fairly adept at applying band-aids one-handed...

JimB

That's funny. I usually only use CA when my wife is home just in case I do something like that. Fortunately, the worst I have done so far is glue my fingers together.

Top Bottom