I leave it to you...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MorganGrafixx

It's been about 2 years since I've made a pen with the intent of it being my personal carry pen. I've been so busy making pens for others that I really haven't put much thought into it. Besides, my Zen has been ever faithful. Well, I think now is the time! I finally decided to make one for me, but I really have no idea what I want. I DO know that whatever it is, I hope it's not going to be a threaded cap (to many ink stained pants/learned my lesson). The Zen's magnetic cap has been excellent for staying on when the pen is clipped to my pocket, the weight and thickness are great for me, the truestone feels nice and the rollerball style is my preferred cartridge. So what say you IAP Nation? What is your personal daily carry pen? What metal finish? What blank material? Pros/Cons? I'm open to switching to a different style/type/size/weight as long as the good folks of the IAP endorse it! So let's have it! I leave it to the peanut gallery to choose my next pen. Suggestions here will be turned into a poll, which in turn, will decide my writing implement's fate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

right now its a Gunmetal Vertex Fountain with my Dichro blank that I made. It's a test bed for the kit (which I like, but not the plating).

I also have a Chrome Long Click in Olive on my desk, and a 10k Jr.Gent BP with a Shredded Money blank on my other desk. And then there's my original Chrome Baron in Russian-Olive Burl around here somewhere.

I use my carry pens as test beds for new kits and materials. I need to have an idea of how they perform before I'll offer them to someone else.

soligen

Given your prohibition on a threaded cap, and that I dont really like the snap fits. I'll suggest a modded cigar. Customized it as heavily as you are capable of to show off the full extent of your abilities. For a blank, a worthless wood burl casting is cool.

My idea here is your pen is a marketing tool. Show the best u can do. A WW burl can show both a high end wood and acrylic at teh same time. A another blank is suggestion is a fancy segmetnation using multiple materials, like aluminum to high light the joints.

paintspill

i love the large cigar twist. its been my carry pen at work for at least 6 months,. no lids to deal with and mechanism is so worked in i can pull if from my pocket and twist it onehanded in one smooth motion. and i like the burl idea.

el_d

Since the rollerball cartridge is you preference that kinda limits the options. The Zen is nice but consider the Long click in Bl/Ti from Laulau with the upgraded Private reserve or Superbowl refill. The PR refill is comparable to the rollerball but doesn't have to be capped. Fits nicely in the pocket and has a large area to show off a nice wood/WW/custom Acrylic/ true-stone.

My everyday writer is a long click with Spanish Oak. But i do have a Emperor I need to work on for myself...

Maybe two personal pens would be nice......

Last edited:

areaman

I was carrying a Sedona rollerball, with a screw on lid, but am now carrying a black finished corian slimline. I use a pen all night long at work so the lid doesn't make much difference.

witz1976

Carry pens huh...lets see I have been carrying a Cigar with my first homebrew PR blank. I have a Classic with Amboyna that I messed up on and decided to keep it as my first fountain. I use sierra looks like a Black TI & Platinum with a feather blank that I got from last year's PITH (Thanks Phunky_2003!) and finally I have an Apollo Infinity with Desert Iron Wood in my portfolio as a nice business style rollerball.

Hope it helps.

seamus7227

Because I'm a tightwad, I carry a chrome sierra with antler, but I have alot of people using my pens so I typically change them up to show them off! But as far as what I prefer, the sierra works great for me, just dont drop it from around 6 feet up, the black powdercoated section near the nib will bust off!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Forget the kits. It's a pen for YOU. Make it special. Make a pen designed by YOU, FOR YOU. Jump into the library and, enter the dark side as they call it. Find yourself some nice material of your liking and, get-er-done. Just a suggestion.:wink: BTW, there are lots of members who would be willing to help if you need it.

Last edited:

Brooks803

Oh Oh Oh...I know I know!!!!! How about a Zen made with a single peice of ANTLER! Anyone else would have to be crazy to try something like that. You'd get hundreds of orders from just carrying it around, I garuntee it! :clown:

U-Turn

It's big but I like to carry a PSI Over-Under with antler on the bottom and ebony on the top. Gets a lot of attention - and sales.

alphageek

Former Moderator
How many options can a poll have? LOL...

My favorite daily carry (yes I have a couple, but I fall back to one most often) is a black ti zen. I love the zen overall as I love the magnetic top and the 555 styled refills. Its a piece of walnut on it... a bit of curl and a little funky grain, but its something that I loved the look of. Simple and elegant.

I say stick with what you love. It sounds like you already have a perfect daily carry because you like it.... figure out what would take that pen to the next level in your head and go there!

randyrls

I haven't made a Vertix pen, but a friend showed me his.. (No puns please!) The click action is very smooth and seems reliable. I will have to try this style.

My personal carry is a Bethlehem Olive Wood Baron with a Schmidt 888 ink fill.

Last edited:

MorganGrafixx

Oh Oh Oh...I know I know!!!!! How about a Zen made with a single peice of ANTLER! Anyone else would have to be crazy to try something like that. You'd get hundreds of orders from just carrying it around, I garuntee it! :clown:

Response #12!!! I knew it would come up eventually. Who better than Johnathon! But you are right man....a person would have to be crazy to try that one.........again. BTW, the "test tube smoke" in a NC blue is my leading horse as far a personal wants. :wink:

MorganGrafixx

Forget the kits. It's a pen for YOU. Make it special. Make a pen designed by YOU, FOR YOU. Jump into the library and, enter the dark side as they call it. Find yourself some nice material of your liking and, get-er-done. Just a suggestion.:wink: BTW, there are lots of members who would be willing to help if you need it.

This idea has been floating around in my head for a little while now. Maybe my own pen is the perfect opportunity to do my Zen with a closed end. Use Johnathon's blanks to make it look like it REALLY IS a test tube full of blue smoke!

How many options can a poll have? LOL...

My favorite daily carry (yes I have a couple, but I fall back to one most often) is a black ti zen. I love the zen overall as I love the magnetic top and the 555 styled refills. Its a piece of walnut on it... a bit of curl and a little funky grain, but its something that I loved the look of. Simple and elegant.

I say stick with what you love. It sounds like you already have a perfect daily carry because you like it.... figure out what would take that pen to the next level in your head and go there!

You and I are on the same track here.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Good question

I carry any of about 15 pens - 2 Le Roi, 2 Streamline, 1 designer, 2 classic, 2 polaris 1 jr Gent 1, 1 Sierra Elegant Beauty, 1 long clicker, 1 cigar and 1 chairman. I also have a jr Gent 1 FP that I have not worked up the nerve to use yet. I don't use my daily carry to try to sell pens.

omb76

My everyday pen is a platinum cigar made with blue dyed maple burl with a PR-9000 refill. I made this pen shortly after I started turning and used a friction polish on it. I really like the look and feel that the wood has after a couple of years. All in all the pen has held up exceptionally well. My "special occasion" carry pen is an M3 Majestic Jr. I carry this one when I'm out to impress folks. It has the flash and wow factor that grabs peoples attention.

Top Bottom