I learned my lesson!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dweir

Well, found out the hard way with the "24K and Upgrade gold slim lines". I just received some Ti Gold slims from CSUSA. Wow! big difference in the quality of the finish. With the Woodcraft gold, I could not press in the Nib using the hole in my pen press, if I did, I would have a mark around the Nib, or if I ooops making a final polish with White Diamond after assembling the pen, the WD would marr the gold. The Ti seems to be worth the extra buck or so per pen kit.

Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jarheaded

It's fun to make a nice pen and then watch the buffer remove the plating. That why they make the TN and the black TN platings. Chrome is also better than 24, actually anything is better. It took me a while to learn about it too. Good luck.:)

Dan_F

I thought "Woodcraft Gold" IS titanium gold, or at least what Berea sells as ti gold.

The WC name for upgrade gold is "cobalt gold". Is there really that much difference between WC gold and CSUSA ti gold? Please set me straight.

Dan

Husky

Originally posted by Dan_F

I thought "Woodcraft Gold" IS titanium gold, or at least what Berea sells as ti gold.

The WC name for upgrade gold is "cobalt gold". Is there really that much difference between WC gold and CSUSA ti gold? Please set me straight.

Dan

Woodcraft uses a few different terms for its upgrade gold platings. On some pens it is "cobalt gold" (Like their navigator). Since they use Titanium gold to describe their plating on the Wall Street II , I am assuming Woodcraft Gold is really just "upgrade gold". The prices seem to bear this out. This is one reason I really do not buy any kits from Woodcraft, its not really clear what plating they are using, and they seem to have few titanium/rhodium finishes available.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by Jarheaded

It's fun to make a nice pen and then watch the buffer remove the plating. That why they make the TN and the black TN platings. Chrome is also better than 24, actually anything is better. It took me a while to learn about it too. Good luck.:)

Why would you buff after assembly? When I buff, I lightly buff the finished blank and then assemble the pen.

dweir

I have had to do a "touch up" buffing after assembly on occasion, but I always buff before assembly.

I hope this clarifies my original post.

Dave

Top Bottom