I Know it's Me...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tomas

Lately I have been having a strange issue. I generally use a carbide tipped tool when turning pens and it has always worked wonerfully for me. However the last week or so when I am shaping the blank I start to feel a chatter in the tool and I wind up with waves in the blank. I have made sure I have a good edge on the tool and I have tried various angles and degrees of pressure. Now I am at a loss.

Here is a picture of some black delrin I was turning down to make some bushings that shows what I am talking about. It is happening in wood, as well. Sorry for the poor picture, all I had was my Ipod. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Tomas:confused:

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 164
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

Your photo shows classic dull tool chatter . Carbide doesn`t stay sharp forever . You need this < http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=33005&cat=1,43072> for effective sharpening .

Tim'sTurnings

I've had that issue when I apply too much pressure to the tool. It usually happens to me at the ends of the pen. It feels as though the tool tries to bite in too hard and feels different when this happens. You will need to go slowly with much less pressure to get those marks out. Try less pressure and possibly check the tool sharpness.

Last edited:

pianomanpj

I've had similar issues with delrin, even with a sharp cutter. Try to get the tool rest as close to the piece and the end of the tool as possible to give the cutter as much support as you can. That seemed to help solve my issue. YMMV

crabcreekind

Lately I have been having a strange issue. I generally use a carbide tipped tool when turning pens and it has always worked wonerfully for me. However the last week or so when I am shaping the blank I start to feel a chatter in the tool and I wind up with waves in the blank. I have made sure I have a good edge on the tool and I have tried various angles and degrees of pressure. Now I am at a loss.

Here is a picture of some black delrin I was turning down to make some bushings that shows what I am talking about. It is happening in wood, as well. Sorry for the poor picture, all I had was my Ipod. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Tomas:confused:

I have the exact same problem!!! i think it has to do with runnoff and the blank not being round. I dont have this problem with my carbide tools tho.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Are you using a mandrel? As mentioned above, too much pressure (when on a mandrel) can cause it. A slightly dull cutting edge can also affect it. Not having a 60° live center in the tail stock while using a mandrel can cause this too.

I had that a few times when using a mandrel but never after using TBC (Turning between centers.)

Top Bottom