I Just Gotta Ask...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Which way do you turn?

• Total voters

plano_harry

Jim Shackelford's shoulder problem made me stop and think about my own turning. Do you use your primary hand on the handle or on the tool rest? In other words - if you are right handed, do you use your right hand on the handle or the tool rest?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
100% Ambidextrous so I suck at picking a hand. Go one way, flip and of the other. More of a curse than anything.

Fatdawg

I'm right handed I think. I write with my right hand, but bat and golf left hand. Turning I'm both, but maybe a little more right handed than left.

plano_harry

Well, the trend seems pretty clear! I am left handed and hold the handle with my left hand, but I started wondering if I just happened to choose that approach or if, for once, I was aligned with the majority. I was teaching my little cousin to turn and we tried both ways to see which he liked best -- but I don't recall making a conscious decision myself. I just picked up the tool and started turning. Thanks to all for taking the time to respond.

Harry

TimS124

I try to spend time using my "off hand" as well. It's a trick picked up from trying to learn to carve…sometimes, it's a LOT easier and faster to switch which hand is holding the tool. Practice using tools on both sides so when those key moments come, you already have the skills to do it the easier/faster way.

Tim'sTurnings

I'm right handed and hold the tool handle with my right hand. I have trouble going left to right on a pen because I have to move my body all the way to the left to turn. I wish I could use the tool with my left hand on the handle.
Tim.

bobleibo

I'm left handed which comes with it's typical challenge in a world that is understandably designed for the right handed majority. I eventually learned how to turn with both hands but am more comfortable with my left hand on the handle. Sometimes I actually stand on the backside of my lathe so I can turn bowls more easily and safely. I know it sounds strange but it works for me.......still have all my fingers (no jinx, no jinx, no jinx) .
Someday, I'm going to buy a lathe capable of true outboard turning......when I hit the lottery.

Last edited:

plano_harry

I am all wrong when it comes to lathe-off sanding and polishing. I have to reach across and turn the chuck with my right hand, because my left hand has all the sanding talent. When I get tired, I can sand right handed, but not as well.

Bob Wemm

I am right handed and have my right hand on the handle. TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE things happen if I take up any tool in my left hand. Strangely though, if both hands are required, then I am left handed. Eg, shovel, axe, bat (lefty).

Bob.

shortz1lla

Voted primary on handle but, to be fair, it's closer to a 60-40 split. I don't find it to be any more comfortable one way or another, I just try to keep a fresh edge as long as possible.

southernclay

Right handed and almost always hold the handle with right hand unless working an odd spot or angle which is rare. When finishing hold the paper towel in my left and CA in right

hard hat

with carbide tools, gouges, etc. I am strong hand on the swell of the handle and weak hand on the shaft near the tool rest. however, with a skew (which is often the tool of choice) I swap hands based on the direction of the cut. when cutting toward the headstock, I hold it normal, and when cutting away I go goofy.

jsolie

I'm right handed, so my right hand is on the handle of the tool. Unless I'm using the skew going towards the tail stock...then I hands. It was kind of awkward at first but at least I wasn't in my own way (if that even makes sense...)

OKLAHOMAN

Left handed, left hand on the handle right hand on the tool rest. I am totally left sided, kick,throw,bat, golf, fish and think:biggrin:

juteck

I am all wrong when it comes to lathe-off sanding and polishing. I have to reach across and turn the chuck with my right hand, because my left hand has all the sanding talent. When I get tired, I can sand right handed, but not as well.

I'm the same way for sanding.

As a lefty for turning, I turn with both hands but usually left hand on handle.

mlconnelly

Right handed and usually have my right hand on the handle. But I will switch occasionally when using my dominant hand is not convenient and I cannot approach the piece at the proper angle.

Hendu3270

I'm right handed....I voted primary hand at the tool rest. However, it's not consistent. When turning pens, I have my primary hand at the tool rest because I get better fine control of my cuts. BUT, when turning bowl or vases, especially when hollowing, my primary hand is on the handle, with my off hand at the rest.

Top Bottom