I just can't win...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefyter-emt

My wife, bless her heart just came in my office and broke the thread coupler in my Jr. Statresman FP [V]

Anyone ever have this happen? She thought it was a snap cap and went to pull the cap off and the couple just broke in two. Dangit, that is my favorite pen!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
I had something similar on a good self locking knife (present from LOML) a couple of years ago. Some fellow wanted to borrow it to cut a piece of paper; opened it and the blade locked in place. After using it he decided to close it. He was strong, and bent the locking mechanism all out of whack. On a personally made pen, breaking it in half - would hurt! I feel you pain! [xx(]

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Lee,

Unfortunately people are more used to snap caps rather than ones that unscrew. As an assembly tip, it is a good idea to make a press block when seating any compontent with threads. I used to have thread failure regularly with El Grande pens until I started doing this.

Firefyter-emt

I don't think it would of made a diffrence on this pen kit. The threads themself don't have any force on them when pressing togather, and even if they do get a little stress, it's on the inside of the tube where it would not help. I do have a few press blocks for the pen kits that need it though. The problem is that the thread coupler is a thin band of plastic on the inside of the cap. That plastic band snapped in two when she pulled on it. (BTW, she did it in front of me and did not pull hard, that is the most shocking.)This could of been prevented by making the coupler not able to pass thru the center band by being fully retained by the center band. When she pulled the coupler broke in half and part of it came out of the cap still attached on the pen body.

I honestly don't think I will make all too many of these pens, there have just been too many issues I do not care for. One problem is the accent on the center band that keeps getting loose and spinning. Then the flange on the pen body on the nib end that has loosened up twice so that it felt loose when using it. A simple one piece thread coupler would of solved this as most pens have this already. Now add in the broken coupler on a pen that has only been in daily use for about 2 months?? I would NOT be happy if I had paid $100 for this pen and had these issues, who would?? [:(!]

I do not think these should not be issues on a pen kit that, where the hardware is $30.00 range. They are all design issues that could be fixed eaisly to improve an otherwise great looking pen.

jeffj13

Lee,

I feel your pain.

I had something similar to me happen at work with my everyday Churchill. Woman asked to see the pen and then tried to pull it apart. She gave a light tug and nothing happened. Before I could say anything, she gave a mighty tug and pulled the centerband right out of the tube. Luckily, nothing broke(perhaps one of the advantages of not gluing in parts). I was able to simply press the parts back together.

Now, whenever I hand someone my pen to look at, I either unscrew it for them first or gently advise them that it unscrews.

jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom