I hope someone can help...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rinehardj

I hope someone can help me with this one. If not, I'll just chalk it up to another hard lesson learned. I made a new slimline, which I was pretty satisfied with. One little annoyance wrong with it, but it was one of those where it stuck out like a sore thumb to me, but most other people wouldn't even notice. After a few times writing with it, though, it seems the twist mechanism piece was too loose. Every time I tried writing with it, the point of the pen would withdraw back into the tip. So I figured I would just remove the twist mechanism and replace it with another. I do not have a disassembly tool, so I just used a pair of pliers, thinking that I could just yank it from the brass tube. But the twist mechanism was more delicate than I expected, and it broke. So now I have the remainder of the mechanism still compression fitted into the brass tube, and I can't think of any other way to remove it. Am I at a total loss, or is there a way I can still save this? I do like the turning of the pen and hate to think that I may have lost the bottom part of this pen. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

You need a transfer punch set . you use the largest punch that will fit through whats left of your tranny and knock off the nib end then use a 1/4" punch to knock out the broken tranny .
You can get the transfer punch set from landfilllumber in the classifieds or harbor freight has them too .

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
The transfer punch set or disassembly tools are best, but barring that you
need something small enough to fit through the transmission but TOO BIG
to fit through the nib. Something just slightly larger than the refill.
Push it through the transmission and towards the nib, where it will stop.
Gently push out the nib.

Then you need something larger than the transmission, but smaller than the
diameter of the tube. Use that to tap out the transmission from the other end.

nava1uni

Transfer punches work nicely, but before I got them I have used a 1/4 bolt long enough so that it ll drive the tranny out. You can hit the head of the bolt with a hammer with no damage and it will drive the transmission out. I glued an extra center band to a washer large enough for the tranny to fit through, but not the barrel. A few taps with a wooden mallet and it will come right out. Works every time. I also drilled holes into a board for each brass tube and then place the pen body against the wood the tube fits through the right sized hole and I can disassemble almost any pen kit.

sbell111

To the pen's original issue:
... Every time I tried writing with it, the point of the pen would withdraw back into the tip. ...
I suspect that you accidently pressed in the transmission too far. This would keep the point of the pen from extending far enough to drop into the 'locked' position and would result in it's withdrawal as you wrote.

I purchased a 1/8" stiff wire from a hobby shop. This is used to knock the nib off.

A 1/4" bolt is then used to force the tranny out. Drill a hole slightly larger than the tranny in a piece of wood longer than the tranny and using a vise, drill press, or any other assembly tool, force the tranny out.

Larry

David M

can cheat a little , drill the spring twist part from tranny . push it deeper in tube ( just leve it in ) . press new tranny in and forget about it ................ i heard from someone that works

Top Bottom