I have questions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I am new here but I run a outreach program here in Dallas,Texas taking fatherless youth on outdoor adventures every month at no cost to them. I would like to learn and teach our fatherless boys to turn pens.Below are a few questions

1.Is it possible to get used equipment(We are a very small org. and money is very tight.)

2.Where is the place to buy used equipment?

3.What are a few tips do's and dont's to get us started?

I appreciate your input and know you are helping some boys learn a skill besides how to play playstation.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

broitblat

Ken,

I'm sure you can find used equipment. At least around here, it is fairly common to find used lathes, etc. on Craig's List. The pen-specific tooling (mandrel, gouges, etc.) might be a little less common, but I expect you'd find that, too, if you keep your eyes open. You can get by with just one or two gouges, so you don't need a lot.

You can often find nice blanks at good prices if you don't need to do fancy burls, etc. and you can start with the more inexpensive kits (I suggest chrome plating as the most durable of the inexpensive platings).

Pick one or two pen styles to focus on so that you don't end up spending a lot on just drill bits and bushings.

Thanks for helping the community, and good luck.

-Barry

firewhatfire

slimline pens are what you will be looking for. they are the least expensive to buy. Wood is free if you for training and practicing if you know where to look. Find a local cabinet or trim shop and tell them what you are doing and ask for scraps. 3/4 inch square by 6 inch long pieces will make a pen. Most of them have truck loads of the stuff they burn or haul to the dump. The tool advice is spot on a roughing gouge and a skew are what I use for most of my pens. And if you cant find wood post back here and I bet you can get some donated.

Phil

IPD_Mrs

Ken,

I'm not aware of your area being as we're in Indiana, but the one thing I would say is don't start with slim lines. Now others will disagree with me, I'm sure, but personally I think that slims are a little more difficult than either the Sierra styles or the Cigar styles (and cigars can be modified when the boys start to learn more skills - but I personally would make Sierra's my first choice.) The basic reason for this in my personal opinion is trying to meet a much smaller center on the slims requires more tenacity than meeting the larger centers on other models.

Secondly, when you do get almost set up and ready to go - give us a shout and we'll send you a little care package for your boys and the work you are doing. Being in social services I know it can often be a thankless job - what you are doing is AWESOME and MANY of us on this planet do thank you and recognize what you do as very important!

Mrs. (aka Linda)

Last edited:

redbulldog

I also agree with "Mrs IPD", start with something other than a slimline. I personally like the Sierras, my opinion they are much easier than the Slimlines, and look better as a finished product.

ctubbs

Welcome Ken, from far west Kentucky, to the addiction, sometimes referred to as the vortex. Be sure to give the library a good bit of time. The link is at the top of the page. You will find an article called Library Index. This covers tutorials on about anything pen making you can think of. You will also notice that there are articles listed by year. Much good info there as well. When these fail to answer your questions, by all means post it here. I have never seen one go unanswered very long. You might also want to give this thread a good look. It has some very good info for the beginning pen turner; http://content.penturners.org/articles/2009/Getting_started_in_penturning.pdf. There are always a few spare blanks floating around this site, especially for a worthy project. When you get set up, give us a shout and make the request. I am sure you will be surprised at the response. Grab some wood, make some shavings and have fun all the while being safe.
Charles

termitepenman

Welcome Ken, from the Left Coast (California). I agree that the Sierra pen is a great starter pen for learning to turn. I would also suggest the you try going to Harbor Freight to look at their 8 x 12 mini lathe. With a 20% off coupon you can walk out with a lathe for a hair under $100. I have three lathes a Rikon, Jet, and HF mini. I taught the grandkids to turn on it and take it with me when I travel. Check one out.

Dennis
Sacramento, CA

rizaydog

I agree to NOT start with slim lines. They are the cheapest, but you can get other kits at just a little more money. My problem with slim lines are, after turning, there is very little wood left. If you mess up, the barrel will be exposed. Also, I would start with a single tube kit. These are quicker and easier for new turners IMO.

As far as equipment, used lathes, especially the smaller lathes are easy to find. You don't need a big lathe to turn pens. You can find used lathes here in the classifieds, on ebay, and your local classifieds. You can find new lathes at PSI and even Amazon for $100 and up. You will also need some turning tools, mandrel, live center, drill and bits, a saw, and some way to trim the ends of the barrels.

Good luck

azamiryou

No one has mentioned finish yet... I'm going to go out on a limb and recommend woodturner's friction finish for this - it may not look as spectacular or last as long as CA, but it looks pretty good and it's a lot less finicky. Also, it's cheaper.

+1 on using scrap wood - again, it may not be as spectacular as $5 burls or acrylic blanks, but oak/maple/walnut make nice pens and you can find pen-sized pieces just lying around.

sbwertz

Don't forget the firewood pile. Mesquite, juniper, elm, african sumac, olive...all trees that grow locally are available free for the taking.

Rangertrek

Ken, all the above are great suggestions. I would also consider doing something other than slimlines for a starter.

When you get up and running, send me a PM and I will get you a care package put together. I have a bunch of practice blanks you can use to learn to turn wood before you actually start on pens.

Akula

Welcome to IAP
If your the same person as on 2coolfishing, be sure to check with them, lot's of locals there to help you with all the wood you can carry. I have not seen you post in a while but it's hard to keep up with 40k members LOL

I tried your website but the link I had was broken

Guys i appreciate the answers and suggestions.I have taught these boys to make end tables with the shape of Texas and crosses and they took to that like butter i was amazed.I will check on lathes this coming week.I love seeing these boys faces when he accomplishes something with wood and dont let someone offer money for their project they think they are millionaires then lol.

JimB

Harbor Freight also has a good starter set of tools for $40 - $50. They are HSS and will do everything you need for pens. Don't forget you will need a way to sharpen the tools.

renowb

I can send you a care package with some blanks, etc. PM me when you are ready to rock and roll!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
exception

I would take a little exception to my friends who say don't start with slimlines....The cost of slims vs Sierra lets say for 100 kits is like $145 vs about $400 - $450 .... for a not-profit that is significent... You can use 9/16 X 9/16 blanks for a slim if you need to and they can cost a little less. Slims are more forgiving of small turning issues...like not getting things perfectly straight and slimline bushings are cheaper and easier to get.

Also - you are a lot more likely to find some kind soul who will give (or sell at a low price) slimlines than Sierras.

Last edited:
Beleive me we will have tried a bunch of styles within the first week.These fatherless boys are fearless,They went from knowing nothing about carpentry to making their own end tables shaped like Texas in 3 days.They make me laugh and cry all within a breath Just hold on to what they will be doing with pens they still amaze me.

Top Bottom