I have a question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LouF

I am not sure if this the right section for my question.

I was looking on PSI at pen blanks and I noticed some of the descriptions said "Stabilized" such as, Stabilized Clear Maple Burl 3/4" x 3/4" x 5" Pen Blank what are they referring to?

Thanks Lou

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

The wood has been impregnated with resin (usually done under pressure / vacuum) which is subsequently cured (usually with heat) resulting in a wood blank that has a lot of the characteristics of plastic. It's frequently done to salvage wood that would otherwise be hard / impossible to turn, but it also is used to create "wood" that is less likely to move with changes in the climate.

The following website has videos, tutorial and such that will answer a lot of you questions.

TurnTex Woodworks - MesquiteMan's Cactus Juice

Ed

(who is apparently the second fastest Ed on the site.....)

Last edited:

D.Oliver

Basically what that means is that the wood has been soaked with a chemical that makes the wood harder. It makes woods that are soft or prone to tear out easier to turn. The stabilized blanks will be a little bit than the same type of blank that isn't stabilized.

PeetyInMich

Don't be lost. Your questions (and the guts to ask them) help out a lot of the newer people that have become involved in pen turning recently. See also Curtis' youtube videos (AKA Turntex).

Top Bottom