I hate when this happens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

qquake

I was doing so well turning Rhino blanks... Got the lower body of this one turned and polished. Then as I was turning the upper body, this happened. I was so close, too. I hoped it would wet sand out, but it was too deep. I decided to try to fix it with thick CA. Don't know if it will work, but I'll find out tomorrow.

Attachments

• 042.JPG
    042.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 253
  • 050.JPG
    050.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 252
  • 051.JPG
    051.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 358
  • 055.JPG
    055.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 301
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I think the CA will do the job. Of course, you still have the task of turning IT !!

Charlie_W

Should work with the CA on this color. If not, part off some of the end and add on a segment of something else. Or if you have a bit of this blank left over, insert a slice of metal and add the matching rhino on the end.

Good luck!

qquake

I trimmed it, then carefully turned the hardened CA off of it.

Attachments

• 057.JPG
    057.JPG
    198.3 KB · Views: 164
  • 059.JPG
    059.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 203
  • 060.JPG
    060.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 222

qquake

Then polished it with my usual regimen. Wet sand with 320 and 400 grit, wet MicroMesh, them PlastX plastic polish. And I'll be damned. It worked!

Attachments

• 062.JPG
    062.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 177
  • 063.JPG
    063.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 224
  • 068.JPG
    068.JPG
    338.9 KB · Views: 216
  • 069.JPG
    069.JPG
    328.4 KB · Views: 167
  • 070.JPG
    070.JPG
    333.1 KB · Views: 180

kruzzer

Great repair job on that blank... I've been there before while it works well I'm hate doing that kind of repair...
I now take a different approach when turning non-wood blanks.. Once I've turned the blank round I take a sharp parting tool and turn each end down at a slight angle just shy of the bushing. I then go back and finish the rest of the turning with my favorite gouge. At least for me it has eliminated tearing out at the end of the blank.

qquake

Great repair job on that blank... I've been there before while it works well I'm hate doing that kind of repair...
I now take a different approach when turning non-wood blanks.. Once I've turned the blank round I take a sharp parting tool and turn each end down at a slight angle just shy of the bushing. I then go back and finish the rest of the turning with my favorite gouge. At least for me it has eliminated tearing out at the end of the blank.

That's a good idea. I may have to try that.

EdGallop41

I do not know how pen turners can make a decent profit when bad things happen (blowouts, wrong measurements, flaws, etc.). The time spent to recover can drive the hourly profit down. I don't mind, and sometimes enjoy the recovery process. But I don't usually sell. I just give them away or add to my collection. However, I have sold several when family or friends send a friend my way. But it isn't much more than minimum wage because I sell under market value to friends of friends. I bet most here do the same. I've given away over a hundred pens in the last couple years.

qquake

The closest I've ever come to selling my pens, was to donate some to a charity auction one time. Otherwise, I do the same. Give them to family and friends, and add to my own collection.

jttheclockman

I do not know how pen turners can make a decent profit when bad things happen (blowouts, wrong measurements, flaws, etc.). The time spent to recover can drive the hourly profit down. I don't mind, and sometimes enjoy the recovery process. But I don't usually sell. I just give them away or add to my collection. However, I have sold several when family or friends send a friend my way. But it isn't much more than minimum wage because I sell under market value to friends of friends. I bet most here do the same. I've given away over a hundred pens in the last couple years.

Ed many ways to look at that statement. Most people here do what you do or make enough to support the hobby and the key word is hobby. But there are those that do sell for a living and usually those people are selling at venues you and I would not even dream of. They are going where the pen buyers are and not just looker and touchers.

When problems arise such as this the idea is to weigh the options to the fix. In this case it was such a simple fix. Other times the blank is just not worth the time or effort and you start over. Then you have those special blanks that you spent big money on so finding a fix is well worth it. When you put that sales price on the pen it will have the proper price. pricing your pens to sell at different markets is a such a skillset most of us do not even get there. Most people here would never dream of putting a $200 price on pens that you sell for $45. You are not a salesman. You are a person looking to make a few dollars and you are content. No need to worry about those that sell pens for a living. They know how to work the market.

Glad you are content with what you do and plese keep up the good work. Enjoy what you are doing and continue to make others happy with your product. But I suggest that you take a walk on the other side a few times and work on a pen that is above and beyond what you are use to. Make that special segmented blank, or that kitless pen with a unique design. You will get to enjoy more of what you do now. Maybe never sell that special pen or just put some rediculous price on it and see what happens. You will amaze yourself.

Good luck and happy turning.

Top Bottom