I HATE BILL JACOB (ILIKEWOOD)... LOL

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Bill, you are really starting to tick me off.... LOL
I got an order today for a BlackTN Baron pen in cocobolo... now since I am getting good money for this pen, I am going to hand pick the blank for the gorgeous stuff I got from Bill... as you know he probably sells the nicest cocobolo around...
I went through my box of about 40 pieces... 5 times... finally decided on three blanks... now I am going nuts deciding which blank... since the pen is Black TN, I wanted a dark piece with real nice grain that will still show up... here are the three choices I am contemplating... I am leaning toward the center or bottom one..I think the angle cut will look great... HELP....
The pics are the same blanks just 90 degree shots of the grain and color... and quicky shots... did not set up the photo booth...

200541165649_Cocobolo1a.jpg

20054116572_Cocobolo1b.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodwish

Don't you hate it when you have too much good stuff and not enough time to turn it all. I vote that you use the middle one, then stick the other two in an envelope to me. That way you won't be tempted to change your mind later. Just trying to help!

wayneis

Been there, done that. Bill's a good friend and always sends wood that the normal person has a hard time figuring out which to turn first. Now if I were only normal it would be a big help.

Wayne

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Wayne, I hear you there.... the other day my 6 yr old daughter referred to me as being WACK.... I have enough problems with SWHTM without the little one starting... LOL...
And you right about Bill... the stuff he sends is absolutely amazing.. If I didn't buy so much of it last year, I would have bought more the last time he offered it...

ilikewood

Jeez Tom...I saw the title and you scared me there. I kept thinking.."what did I do now?"

I think you should go back and reevaluate the entire bunch...wait...I guess the center one will do![:)]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Bill,

The right (salesman's) answer is, "Tom, those all look OK, but you ought to see the one I'm holding that I would ship to you immediately for only $10. Your customer will just cry with excitement.

Ed
Irish diplomat: The ability to tell a man to go to hell in such a way that he looks forward to the trip.

Daniel

In Photo 1 I like number 3, in Photo 2 I like number two. this is just to much of a delima to leave you strapped with so just send them all to me. I'll turn them into pens and let you know which one actually looked the best.
all in all I would go with number two as well.

GregD

I say the middle one. I made a euro style this morning out of cocobolo I got from Bill. Took me two days to decide which blank to use. Unlike you none of mine were angle cut. I would have jumped on that one in a second. Tom Who makes the Baron?

ilikewood

Just a note...I don't cut any angle cut...considering the extreme cost and limited availability of this wood, I cut all my boards lengthwise. The natural curly grain in many of the boards gives the appearance of angle cut wood in some cases.

Call me an "tree hugger" if you want, but I hate to see even the smallest scrap go to waste and angle cutting (although spectacular in many woods) is much more wasteful.

I always try to throw in some of the curled grain in every order. If I didn't get some in peoples orders, it was an oversight on my part and will gladly send you some (Greg, write me off-group).

JimGo

Greg D, Bill Baumbeck has them as an exclusive item. Though CSUSA has come out with a similar pen; I think it's called the "Navigator".

driften

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Greg D, Bill Baumbeck has them as an exclusive item. Though CSUSA has come out with a similar pen; I think it's called the "Navigator".

The Navigator is a Woodcraft pen not CSUSA.

driften

I just had my own experance with Bill! The stuff is so nice that he sent me I have to stress over what kits and designes are good enough for the wood I got from him! I have a black Ti Cigar kit that might be good enough. Some may have to be barons or statesmen.

JimGo

Tom, since this thread came up again, I thought I'd chime in...I now see why you hate Bill! I have ordered a few sets of blanks from him, and they are AMAZING! Oh well, I can think of worse problems!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom