I goofed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I finished turning some beautiful maple burl tubes for a sculpted pen. Started applying the CA and realized I forgot to cut the tenon. I've made 3 or 4 of these and have forgotten to cut the tenon every time. No worries, I had more coats to go so I wasn't worried about messing up the finish. Measured, cut, measured, cut again, got the tenon perfect! Put on the centerband to make sure it sat flat which it did. Unfortunately I cut the tenon on the lower barrel instead of the upper barrel... DOH!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

The opportunity for "oops rings" comes up from time to time. You have a head start.

Happens to all,of us from occasionally.

magpens

Hmmmm ! . I have done similar ... and worse !

It's easy to do that for this kit because both brass tubes are the same length (but the turned blanks are different diameter).

What I now do is carefully trim the blanks to the exact required finished length before drilling, then drill (on lathe) and glue in the tubes.
Then turn the blanks to the required diameters.

In that way there is no need to turn a tenon.

I do the trimming to length and squaring the ends at the same time ... on the lathe.

Last edited:
The opportunity for "oops rings" comes up from time to time. You have a head start.

Happens to all,of us from occasionally.

I plan to turn a tenon the same length on the opposite end of the barrel and putting a band on both sides. I'm still debating what wood woukd look best. I'm leaning towards ebony. I'll probably band the upper barrel as well.

Hmmmm ! . I have done similar ... and worse !

It's easy to do that for this kit because both brass tubes are the same length (but the turned blanks are different diameter).

What I now do is carefully trim the blanks to the exact required finished length before drilling, then drill (on lathe) and glue in the tubes.
Then turn the blanks to the required diameters.

In that way there is no need to turn a tenon.

I do the trimming to length and squaring the ends at the same time ... on the lathe.

I was thinking of doing it that way. If I make another I'll give it a shot, but honestly I'm not a huge fan of the kit. Some have loose hardware, some extremely tight, which makes me question the QC. I have a few euro kits left that I'll try with your method though.

Hi. Welcome to the I goofed club. Gee... I have never done anything like that.....
I think....I wish...

It's always good to know I'm not alone!

No Pictures, didn't happen!

I like the way you think!

Top Bottom