I finished my first Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RustySocket

Hello again everyone,

For those of you who missed my intro thread. I'm very new to the hobby of pen turning. After seeing some custom work several weeks ago I began investigating what it would take to create some of my own work.

Since then I have acquired a few tools and am in the process of learning. A couple of days ago things started coming together and I found some time to put together my first kit.

I chose a Gothica kit in copper that I purchased from an on line vendor and used a Turqouise Stabilized Box Elder Burl blank that was purchased from another. Everything was pretty straight forward with only a few suprises along the way. The pen was wet sanded to 12000 and finished with some sanding sealer and a mixture of beeswax and carnauba then polished with a cloth. I will save the CA finish for a later date. I think the wax really brought out the depth and character of the burl.

I had hoped to get it done in time to enter one of the contests but It looks like I'm too late for this year.

I'm not much of a photographer, I may enlist someone with more creative spirit to help in the future. I don't have any fancy stand so here it is, thanks for looking.

Please critique my work and help me improve if there are any obvious or not so obvious faults.

Attachments

• IMG_0205.JPG
    IMG_0205.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_0206.JPG
    IMG_0206.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 248
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Nice pick for your first pen. I'd call that a great start. Experiment with finishes ....EEE & Hylands Friction for me. I love that on wood.
I commend you for jumping in and going for the more expensive unique pens (I started with slimlines)

Last edited:

RustySocket

Thanks everybody. It was a lot of fun to make. It turned out better than I expected... (Punny, I know.... probably an old joke around here)

Top Bottom