I feel the need for speed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

rhahnfl

I got a variable speed kit for my lathe and finally got it installed. HOLY COW !!! Was Ed4copies ever right. His PR literally turns like butter. I got an extra 600 rpm buy converting... after I got the pulleys aligned...that's another story. I was turning at about 2000rpm and now have it cranked to 3800rpm and man...what a difference. It was making "easter grass" in a matter of seconds and I even tried an old HF gouge that was only moderately sharp and still had no problems. I backed it down to sand and finish it as I seem to have more luck there. Can't wait to play with some more!!! Hey Ed... I bought a 3/4" Robert Sorby skew and as soon as I figure out how to get it honed I'm going to start practicing. Thanks to all for your advice.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
GREAT, Chris!!!

Glad to see you are improving your technique and becoming a BETTER turner.

There is an old saying about experience. Some people have a decade of experience and have become wiser and better in the 10 years. Others have performed exactly the same tasks in exactly the same ways for 10 years. Those in the "latter category" are usually out of business in that time.

You are clearly trying to stay in the first group - Good luck and good progressing!!!

rhahnfl

Thanks Ed... it's been a lot of fun so far.

Yes, it is a PSI kit and was on sale. Don't know if it still is but it was well worth the money. Watch and see if they have a labor day sale like CSUSA. Since I have the Turncrafter Pro it was very easy to install. Just a little tricky getting the pulleys lined up nicely. I suspect the old drive belt is stretched and I think putting a new one would have helped greatly. Probably spent 15 minutes taking off the old motor and another 10 installing the new. Then about a half hour playing with the drive belt tracking and another half hour mounting the control box. Man does it hum when you crank it up.[:D][:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom