I did it!!! Finally!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Finally, after 4 tries and disasters, and subsequent waste of blanks, I made my first Celtic Knot Pen :)
Yayyyy!!! Can't be any happier as this is something I have wanted to make since day one, after seeing that Youtube video of the kid who makes pens to go to college.
It is not perfect. It has some minor imperfections, but I think they are so small, only a trained eye from another penmaker can notice. :)

Hope you like it. It's an Atlas Pen from Woodcraft. Unfortunately I don't know what wood is. It's from a package I bought from Woodcraft and lost track of which wood was what. Knot is walnut veneer. I used a Nobex Proman Mitre saw to make it. :RockOn:

Attachments

• Pens 051.jpg
    Pens 051.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 528
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Thanks Cherie! In my very limited experience, the right tools make it possible. I tried with several different tools and failed miserably until I used the Nobex saw and following the instructions in The Complete Guide to Turning Pens & Pencils by Walter Hall.

RussFromNH

Looks great. I have wanted to give it a try now that I have seen the video also. I just need to cleanup from the pinewood derby building so I can have my shop back amd give it a try.

Well... I was showing off my Celtic knot creation this morning to a friend over a cup of coffee. I didn't mention what it was or what I had to do to make it... was awaiting his awe reaction or something. He took it in his hand, turned the pen around a few times and he said " Hey... nice decal you put on there" :eek::confused:

I wasn't sure if taking it as an insult or a compliment. :confused:

TerryDowning

" Hey... nice decal you put on there" :eek::confused:

I wasn't sure if taking it as an insult or a compliment. :confused:

Take it as a compliment to the fit and finish of the knot and an overall compliment on a smooth finish.

Inform them that it's knot a decal but rather different pieces of wood segmented together. Many people simply just don't know that can even be done as they are so used to mass produced items done with decal.

Good job!

Top Bottom