I could use some advice.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lglide

I have been turning pens for about two years. There is one area where flaws keep cropping up, and hopefully one of you has a suggestion on how to avoid it. I use CA glue to finish the pen, and nylon bushings while finishing it. I have tried several means of detaching the pen from the bushing (nearly always the smallest end gives me trouble), but frequently end up with flaws right at the edge of the pen.

Like today, this happened. Any advice?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181018-215024_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20181018-215024_Gallery.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 267
  • 20181018_215007.jpg
    20181018_215007.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 250
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

When questions like this come up some times it is difficult to answer because we do not have access to your procedures or equipment.

To me this is an equipment problem and with that I mean the bushings you are using. With the perfect ring makes me believe the blank is sitting indented in the bushing. In other words the bushing is keeping the very end of the blank from getting a finish on it. Thus your finish comes up short on the ends. Use different bushings or make them smaller. I prefer to make cone shape and do not use those rounded nylon bushings you see so often people using for finishing. Does not allow the hand to continue the motion when applying CA. or sanding. Just my opinion :)

magpens

What is the problem you are referring to in the pictures ... you didn't say.

Is it the very fine rings very close to the very end of the blank(s) ?

I have never seen anything like that in my 10 years making pens, finishing with CA.

If that is "the problem" then, as John said, it has to be something mechanical like inappropriate bushings. It is just too precise a "feature" to be anything else, IMHO. . It actually looks like it has been scored ... to be that perfect of a flaw.

Last edited:

CREID

If I get what your problem is and maybe I don't. Try taking a thin sharp knife and cut line around the end of the blank before you try to separate it from the bushing.

KLJ

It looks to me like the finish is the same between the lines as the rest of the pen. It may be optical illusion or shadow, but the lines especially the less noticeable one goes from nothing on the left of the first picture to maybe half the distance to the noticeable line. I agree with John more details are needed. My guess is that they are score marks, and maybe a bent mandrel causing one side to be a little proud of the bushing, if that is the right way to describe it. Don't give up you will get it figured out.

mecompco

The answer is simple--don't use bushings while applying the CA. Finishing between centers works great, and also has the added benefit of sealing the ends of the blank. CA is easily removed from the centers and buildup can be minimized by applying a thin coat of paste wax before finishing. After sanding and polishing, excess buildup on the ends of the blank should be removed if necessary.

More4dan

The answer is simple--don't use bushings while applying the CA. Finishing between centers works great, and also has the added benefit of sealing the ends of the blank. CA is easily removed from the centers and buildup can be minimized by applying a thin coat of paste wax before finishing. After sanding and polishing, excess buildup on the ends of the blank should be removed if necessary.

In addition to finishing between centers is to us HDPE or Nylon bushings for applying CA. I also use for sanding to keep from damaging my bushings. The material is cheap and easily turned on your lathe to make a bunch. Online metals is a good source.

Danny

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

lglide

Apologies for my lack of info, I posted this late last night.
It's a scored mark from the knife I used while trying to separate the nylon bushing from the blank. It skipped around like a light needle on a record.

But I like some of your suggestions. I have another pen waiting to be finished tonight.

These are the bushings I referred to.

Attachments

• 20181004_151937.jpg
    20181004_151937.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 222

Rounder

What this guy said. Seals the end. Then sand flush once removed from the lathe. I used to have problems with the finish chipping at the ends of the blank when I removed the bushings. Then went to this method and no issues since.

jttheclockman

Apologies for my lack of info, I posted this late last night.
It's a scored mark from the knife I used while trying to separate the nylon bushing from the blank. It skipped around like a light needle on a record.

But I like some of your suggestions. I have another pen waiting to be finished tonight.

These are the bushings I referred to.

That is the bushings I referred to. Whoever invented those had no idea about finishing pens. They abruptly stop you when you are applying a finish or even sanding because of the huge bulbous detail. As mentioned use the dead and live centers for finishing or make some nylon ones that mimic those centers. That is what I have. Then when you swipe the CA it carries past the blank and onto the ends. I will stop and take off the centers after a few coats to relief the build up on the ends if I see necessary. Good luck.

More4dan

What John says! My HDPE bushings are cut with a 60 degree edge just like my centers. Works great. I have stuck a blank onto my centers once when I wasn't being careful enough and a little too liberal with the CA. Acetone took care of it.

magpens

OK, so it is a score like I first suggested.

That being the case, I don't see any other problems in your first 2 pictures in the orig. post.

It seems you put on the CA rather thick. If so I recommend that you back off your tail stock slightly after ever coat so that the CA is broken/cracked after EVERY COAT and in that way you won't have a large amount of CA to break through at the end.

Paul in OKC

When questions like this come up some times it is difficult to answer because we do not have access to your procedures or equipment.

To me this is an equipment problem and with that I mean the bushings you are using. With the perfect ring makes me believe the blank is sitting indented in the bushing. In other words the bushing is keeping the very end of the blank from getting a finish on it. Thus your finish comes up short on the ends. Use different bushings or make them smaller. I prefer to make cone shape and do not use those rounded nylon bushings you see so often people using for finishing. Does not allow the hand to continue the motion when applying CA. or sanding. Just my opinion :)

Good thought there, mine as well.

Top Bottom