I can not believe I ruined this pen...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefyter-emt

Guys help me save a pen I screwed up today. I posted a little bit ago that cocobolo closed end El-Toro FP I made. Well today I ruined the cap! A blow out, something wild?? No, I made the freaking bushings wrong!! I had my post it notes up and must of made the OD of the bushings to match the body not the cap. Well figures I get down within "measuring room" of the bushings and I go to check the hardware and I am already way undersized!! No saving it at all.

Now the lower half is even pressed and has a CA finish on it so I don't want to trash it, but being a FP it has to have a cap. I am thinking that just maybe an acrylic blank might just look ok. Does anyone have a half blank that would look good with cocobolo? I am thinking black, but I do not have any... Any other materials that might look "perfect" with this pen? The grain is just too wild to try to match up more and have it look right. I would really like to save this and I can not believe I did this today! :(

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Bummer -- but this is also a design opportunity to use that nice body - It was nice cocobolo as I remember, but not spectacular.

Complement or contrast - I am thinking contrast - Think antler, think ivory, think Holly, --

Complement - blackwood, blood wood, or even another piece of cocobolo with a different grain pattern (bias cut or cross cut) to compliment the colors in the body.

bnoles

Lee,

I truly believe disassembly and start fresh would be your best option. I think you will spend more time and frustration trying to save it and never find real peace with it.

I always hate when things like that happen... a real heart breaker and you have my sympathy.

Roy99664

I've never done the resin fix before, but looking at the snake skin blanks the resin may magnify the grain enough to look mismatched. Good or bad I couldn't say, but something to consider.

Good luck, hope you figure it out.

stevers

Tough break Lee. It's happened to me before as well. And it was a "true stone" blank too. Made it work, for that much $$, I'll make it work. Look at item # 109 on my site. Can you find the repair?

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Firefyter-emt
<br />No way to cast it, but it would be a good fix. The cap is off by 1.5mm so way too much to "fill" by finish alone. [:(!]

Anyone want to resin cast the cap for me?? [:D]

I'm willing to give it a try just to see how the experiment works. Send me a pm.

Firefyter-emt

Originally posted by oldsmokey
<br />Can you disassemble the lower half, take it down 1.5 mm and then cast both half's with resin?

No, with the closed end and the fact that there is not a lot of material on the tube to start with on the lower half I would be thru the closed end in seconds. Not only that, I don't think there is 1.5mm of wood around the tube to start with![;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom