I assume this will not work but...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

Thought I would ask. I was asked if I could make a pen from the floor of a soon to be scrapped houseboat. The floor is mostly treated plywood that has long since surpassed its treatment but there are a few treated 2x4s that I could get a blank. I assume what has impregnated the wood will cause havoc with finishing.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I would not

I have built quite a few things out of treated lumber....If it is an old houseboat than there probably isn't too much danger to your lungs with one or two pens. I would still use a face mask or something...but having said that I don't think I'd do it unless there was some real sentimental value to the houseboat.

Finishing would be hit or miss as would the color. Pressure treated lumber is usually southern yellow pine or some other fairly soft wood but it could be hemlock which can get really hard when it drys.

WWAtty

Are there any other kinds of wood on that boat? Perhaps some hardwood cabinets or something that would yield better turning wood?

leehljp

Member Liaison
While I don't dare touch it, a few have made pens from wood such as poison ivy/oak and other dangerous woods and finished (encased) in a good thick CA coated finish.

You could do the same. Wear a mask. A thick coat of CA should make it OK. The wood treatment should not be problem with the CA adhearance. Just make sure it is dry before CA'ing it.

Last edited:

corian king

I have made several segmented pens using salt treated wood and a couple bowls.
I sanded and finished just like it was any other type of wood and never had any problems.Good Luck!

Haynie

This is an old Boatel. They were basically meant to be disposable houseboats but people have kept them on the water with bipoxy and prayer. No fancy wood. I told him it was a no go unless he had some untreated stuff from the boat. I had not thought about the lung issue. Being a Boatel plywood, fiberglass, and steel are really all there is.

Thanks.

Top Bottom