I am sold... I used Micro-mesh today.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefyter-emt

If anyone has not gotten on this band wagon, you have to try this stuff!! I have been putting it off for too long and bought some the other day. Dang, I like it! The biggest thing I have noticed is that it's cleaner than the wet/dry paper. That was my main reason for picking it up. I just finished off some canarywood and it's perfect! If this stuff lasts anything like I hear I will be in heaven. I cut a 1" x 3" strip off each sheet and sealed the rest in a ziplock pen bag for later use.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

Lee,
It will last, for a hundred pens or more, or until you melt all the grit off it. Whichever comes first.
I did notice that the last three highest grits seem to get a glossy look to them prety quick and doughted they where working like thay should. Hard to tell when they are supposed to be invisable to the naked eye. In doing one of the bulk buys I did a lot of research reading about MM. those last three meshes are Aluminum Oxide, where the other six are Carbide. for this reason I suspect they are not lasting as long as the other six do. I really havn't seen a problem with it though.

Ligget

Glad you found the joys of micro-mesh, I love it. I kept melting it at first, but now I turn the lathe speed down and keep moving MM along the blank for a few seconds at a time.

Firefyter-emt

How about a run down of how you all sand your blanks??? Lathe speed, tips, ect. I have seen bits here and there about the MM melting so I have been keeping it moving while sanding, but it would be good to hear how everyone else is doing it. Heck, this is all self learned for me, mostly that is..

gmssms

The MM is great stuff. Hooked after using it once. Yes you will most likely end up melting a piece sometime, once is usually all though.

My technique thus far has been to sand to 600, starting at 120 or 150 pending smoothness of surface from the tools. Then application of sanding sealer. Back to 400 and 600. redo the sanding sealer. Back to 400 and 600. Once more with sanding sealer if needed. than 400 through to 600, then through the range of MM. I use a friction polish at that point, usually 2 to three layers, sometimes 4. I allow that to dry at least three days, then use of wax and assembly. sometimes an extra light coat of wax post assembly.

lathe speed for all sanding is 500 RPM. for the polishing I bump it up to 3,000 RPM.

Daniel

Here is my list of sanding and MM.
I start with 150 grit if I left the turned barrel proud of the bushings, usually I can start with 220.
I use the 220 grit to make the CA slurry that I use on all my wood pens to fill the grain and small voids. actually I can get some voids that are not so small if I build up enough sawdust before adding the CA. this is all done at the slowest speed my lathe has (don't know what it is in R.P.M.) my lathe simply has three speeds but what they are is not known.
I then resand with a fresh piecs of 220, and proceed all the way up to 12000 MM.(High speed) in effect polishing the wood itself.
I then put my CA finish, at low speed, over the polished wood, starting again at 300 grit (220 if the CA went on roughly) putting the lathe back on high speed I again go all the way up to 12000 MM. I stop the lathe and and sand with the length of the barrel any time I am using anything courser than 4000 MM. higher grits I simply sand with the lathe turning.
My main problem with melting the MM is when trying to push the corner of the MM into the blank to reach curved edges etc.
I use the foam block that came with my first set. I have also glued MM to old mouse pads and this has worked just as well and I don't have to wrap the sheets around a piece of foam for every change in grit.
I use very light pressure if you can even call it pressure. It is more like just touching the blank with the MM. I also keep the M m moving forward and backward as I also move it from one end of the blank to the other. this way no single spot of the MM gets to hot. to much pressure, which is not a lot, or letting one spot of the MM stay in contact with the blank, will cause it to melt in a big hurry.

peetah

Hi all,

Am very new to this pen turning lark, and was just wondering if someone has a contact for micro mesh, so I can see if there is a New Zealand distributor.

Cheers
Peter

JimQ

For the last sanding prior to the MicroMesh, there is no need to go to the 600 grit sandpaper. The 1500 MM is roughly equivilent to 400 grit.

Except for when I am using MM on bare wood, I always use it wet.

JimQ

Pipes

I have got the equal of over 200 pens from 1 set and its still going strong I bought a set in Full sheets and made it into like 4 sets and still using the orignal for 2 yrs or more !!! I started using it on my tampers way befor I even thought of making my first pen !! The stuff is fantastic !! I can normaly on most woods start with 320 grit SP and go to 400 then the full scale of MM to 12000 and never a problem !!!

http://affordablepipes.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom