I am looking for a little advice.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

guitarman

Hi folks I am looking for some advice.I have cancer of the voice box and despite radiotherapy and 7 operations the little devil appears to be winning the argument.Mr consultant has started preparing me forthe probability of having my voice box totally removed.The result will be that I will have to have a hole in my throat through which I will breathe.I have been turning for many years and would be disappointed if I had to stop because of this. I wonder if there is anybody out there who has been in a similar situation and whether they have been able to continue turning.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Very sorry to hear to this. Just keep trying and do the best you can do...and protect yourself accordingly.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Wow Maurice, that is a helluva predicament and I wish you the very best for the future. Hopefully someone here can allay your concerns.

On a lighter note...several members here, myself included, manage to breathe and speak from orifices other than our mouths and we do ok...:biggrin:

CabinetMaker

Hi folks I am looking for some advice.I have cancer of the voice box and despite radiotherapy and 7 operations the little devil appears to be winning the argument.Mr consultant has started preparing me forthe probability of having my voice box totally removed.The result will be that I will have to have a hole in my throat through which I will breathe.I have been turning for many years and would be disappointed if I had to stop because of this. I wonder if there is anybody out there who has been in a similar situation and whether they have been able to continue turning.
I think you are going to have to get creative. My guess would be that if you ask your doc he will say that you can't be in a dusty environment. They might have a filter that can attach to it.

If not, that is when you have to get creative and figure out how to attach a hose between the port in your throat and a powered filter on your belt.

In any case, good luck with the battle. Prayers for you and your family.

sbwertz

Last edited:

low_48

We have a guy in our AAW turning chapter that has had that surgery. He continues to turn. He will be demoing with me this weekend at the Woodworker's Shop in Pekin, IL. I'll see what precautions he uses. I know he struggles just a bit with his throat stoma and mucous, but gets along pretty darned well if you ask me. Pretty sure he wears a type of stoma cover to keep dust out.

Tom T

Good to here some of the IAP can help. We will be praying for you. Please keep us posted on what you figure out and how you are doing.
Tom

low_48

Maurice,
I spoke with the turner I mentioned previously. He was turning with us on Saturday. He wears a woven cotton cover, that has a velcro attachment to keep it snug over his throat. I asked what the doctor had told him about the dust. He gave me a smile, and he basically said "Now I do what I want to do, when I want to do it." I guess that after you survive all that, you might just get a little independent. If you want to communicate with him, send me a private message and I will give you his email. He said he wished that someone had told him more common sense information before his surgery.

Top Bottom