I am Confused about pen bushings??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

navycop

On the pen kit Bushings and Tubes
Contributed by: Wayne Racinowski are the bushings listed for the William Wood-White kits the same as the Arizona Silhouette kits? For example:
The Arizona Silhouette Sierra Twist BP uses a 20A bushing.
The William Wood-Write Sierra Twist BP uses 60-20A bushing.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
20A is Berea's code number. They should work for all Berea-made kits using this number.

That would include WoodCraft, too.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Yea,

Lots of suppliers stand behind their kits...but I don't know of any who will stand 100% behind their bushings. If you measure them and they are wrong (if you can find what is right) they might replace them but any blanks you wrecked or tubes you lost....forget it?

aggromere

I am completely spoiled on bushings. I just use Johnny's TBC bushings. Actually before I decide on building a particular kit I find out if he has the bushings or the time to make them.

Not sure what the percentages are, but a lot of the bushings from the manufacturers are faulty and I would end up with an out of round pen blank. Not sure if it is an off center hole or they are bent or what, but many times they cause problems for me. I have had the same issue with a few drill bits as well.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
True enough

I am completely spoiled on bushings. I just use Johnny's TBC bushings. Actually before I decide on building a particular kit I find out if he has the bushings or the time to make them.

Not sure what the percentages are, but a lot of the bushings from the manufacturers are faulty and I would end up with an out of round pen blank. Not sure if it is an off center hole or they are bent or what, but many times they cause problems for me. I have had the same issue with a few drill bits as well.

Well not to knock anyone, especially John Goodin but I got a barrell a tad out of round using his TBC bushings...now I don't blame the bushings (I'm gonna guess that it was somehow the operator - but I don't know how) and it really wasn't very much out of round. I have found that in most inctances if I turn to the bushings, you'll have to look mighty hard to find the pen out of round. Lots of other mistakes I make much better than that one...

johnnycnc

Well not to knock anyone, especially John Goodin but I got a barrell a tad out of round using his TBC bushings...now I don't blame the bushings (I'm gonna guess that it was somehow the operator - but I don't know how) and it really wasn't very much out of round. I have found that in most inctances if I turn to the bushings, you'll have to look mighty hard to find the pen out of round. Lots of other mistakes I make much better than that one...

Sent you a pm, Sir.
I was not aware you had any issues. I'm always willing to make things right if there is any problem with my parts.:)

toddlajoie

I might be wrong, but if your headstock and tailstock are not properly aligned ( I think this is called "runout" or something similar..) would that not make just about anything out of round a slight bit?

And for the record, I value Johnny's bushings too much to let sandpaper near them, so I use them for near sizing, and remove them and sand without bushings and use digital calipers for sizing...

Top Bottom