I am calling this a learning experience

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

But I can't figure out what happened. So, please help.

Here are the facts: PSI Majestic Jr.

Got true stone turned, Azurite web.
Sanded and shiny.
Put upper barrel together without a hitch
Put nib section of lower barrel in and it went in a hair like normal. Started pressing and CRACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The barrel cracked after about a thousandth in. So I pulled it out

I calipered both ends of the tube and they were the same before I started inserting either side

Out of curiosity I pressed the nib section in the other side and it worked perfectly fine. Yeah I can press the parts out

That was my last Majestic Jr. kit. The first I screwed up. I don't see how this one was my fault, unless I had the piece a hair off level when I started pressing.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

I bought a "bullet" chamfering tool from Arizona Silhouette. I hit each end of the tubes with the tool before pressing.

This tool makes tight tolerances a little more forgiving of misaligned tubes in the press.

wiset1

I bought a "bullet" chamfering tool from Arizona Silhouette. I hit each end of the tubes with the tool before pressing.

This tool makes tight tolerances a little more forgiving of misaligned tubes in the press.

Aside from the Chamfering tool I also use an exacto knife to run the inside of the brass tube to remove any remains of CA no matter how slight. These kits are designed to be exact and the least little bit of CA left inside the tube can cause a crack. I've done this a couple times before picking up those two tools!

PenMan1

I used to use the exacto knife, as well. These days, I fill each tube with plumber's putty BEFORE glue up. The putty pushes out easily with a shotgun bore brush and leaves the tube spotless.

The putty can be reused. I found this method saves me a bunch of "tube cleaning" time.

Tim is exactly correct. Any residue left in the tubes can result in disasterous results.

Haynie

Hmmmmm....Yep I bet it was epoxy in the tube. I thought I had cleaned it out. Plumber's putty is a fine idea and will be used. Thanks folks. Pen sure is pretty if you don't look at the crack.

CaptG

I found using a dremal tool with the small sanding drum cleans out the tube very well. I also sand the inside of the tube ends with same tool so the press fit parts are not as tight and use a couple drops of loctite to lock them in place. No more cracks.

Texatdurango

Yep, these things are so tight fitting, a tiny blob of epoxy or CA just a few thousandths thick, barely visable, will casue problems.

Speaking of Arizona Silhouette, they sell or used to sell pink "dental wax". It comes in flat sheets and you just press the tube ends into the wax and it creates a plug on each end.

This is just one more way to choose from. The only problem is that the last time I ordered some I didn't read something right and wound up with 3 dozen sheets...... enough to last five lifetimes!

BSea

Speaking of Arizona Silhouette, they sell or used to sell pink "dental wax". It comes in flat sheets and you just press the tube ends into the wax and it creates a plug on each end.

This is just one more way to choose from. The only problem is that the last time I ordered some I didn't read something right and wound up with 3 dozen sheets...... enough to last five lifetimes!
My wife is a candle freak, so when she gets tired of a candle, I melt the wax & pour it out on wax paper. If you do this, you don't need it thick. About 1/16" works great.

EDIT: And I second the camfering tool. I got mine from Bear Tooth Woods. He had (and may still have) some that are slightly rusted for next to nothing.

Last edited:

flyitfast

Agree with the above suggestions, but would like to add: get the set of tube brass brushes from Harbor Freight. The set has sizes that fit all pen tubes and will really help in cleaning glue/epoxy residue. Definitely agree with the chamfering tool to partially open the end of the tube enough for assembly without making it too loose.
gordon

DurocShark

I went to the 99c store and bought a pack of 10 generic play-doh's. For 99c. I don't bother reusing the stuff...

Top Bottom