I *do* have $50. Which pen next?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jbswearingen

I actually do have $50 from a pen sale. I'm a hobby turner trying to sell to pay for the hobby. So...I don't buy anything until I sell something...Or so that's what I'm trying to hold myself to.

To date I've only turned Slims and Cigars. I've sold a few of each and enjoy turning both of them, but I'd like to add another pen type or two to my listing.

I know that I'll need new bushings, so that isn't counted in the cost. My one requirement is that they work on my current mandrel.

I'm not looking to "improve" my skills...so I don't want challenging pens...yet. I'd like pens that sell decently and are within my skill set. I've been asked about selling FP's, but feel they're beyond my grasp for now.

I would really appreciate specific models and if possible, vendor links so I can research them. I currently buy my cigars from www.woodpenpro.com out in HI.

As always, thanks for the advice you guys so freely give!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

The Sierra is very popular. It is a single barrel pen so has a different look than your other pens. Woodcraft calls it Wall Street II. Almost every vendor sells it but sometimes under different names. The price range is very reasonable and goes from about $8 - $17 depending on the plating you get. For $50 you can get several kits, bushings and extra tubes.

glycerine

I'd say go for the FP if you have people asking about them. You've got a good chance of selling them if there is already interest. The capped pens aren't that different than the cigar. They turn the same, just use the bushings to get the right diameter, then put it all together! The one thing I would advise about a fountain pen though is if you make a postable one, make the clip line up with the top side of the nib when the cap is posted. Alot of people like them that way. And get one of Lou's nibs or a Bock nib from Roy (Bocks should arrive sometime next month) to replace the "kit" nib...

glycerine

Oh and I'm a big fan of the jr. gents from CSUSA, the retro is nice and the statesman for something a little "pricier"... The majestic from PSI is nice as well...

G1Pens

I say go to a Jr Gent. Either a rollerball or fountain....or both. Make a set. The Jr Gent is very reasonably priced and makes a very nice pen with an "upper end" look.

Rick_G

Sierra is good, I also like the baron or sedona. One advantage of baron or sedona is they both are available in roller ball and FP and use the same bushings. They can also be converted from RB to FP by just swapping the nib section and spring.

IPD_Mr

My first gut reaction would be to gravitate to the Sierra/Wall Street/Elegant Beauty. But the more I thought about it, you already have a couple of ballpoint type pens, Many on her have said the Jr. Gent, and to give you some variety I would have to agree. This would then give you a capped pen as well as a rollerball in your inventory. Don't forget that no matter which pen you go to, you will need bushings and drill bit(s).

Congrats on the sale and good luck picking your next creation.

GoodTurns

I would go over to Jon's house with my $50 and get some goodies! I have a good stock of all the above pens...give me a call.

sbell111

I would go with the Elegant Beauty. The cigar pens are masculan while the Elegant Beauty trends more feminine, hopefully increasing your sales.

jbswearingen

sbell--I was actually thinking about that...I'd like to offer a more 'feminine' variant. Thanks!

Jon--I really do need to find to make the time to come see you. Especially with school starting soon...I'm not gonna have any time!

Jim Burr

Banned
Have to jump in with the Sierra (mostly ladies) or the Jr Gent (mostly guys) crowd. They both can be turned into amazing pens with the right blank. I carry and sell only 3 styles, Jr Gent, Sierra and Aero. You can do reallt great stuff with any of these. May add some more later, but these sell well.

azamiryou

+1 on Jr. Gents. The only thing about it that's more difficult than a slimline is that the lower barrel tapers, so you have to be careful to get the right bushing on each end. You have access to a wide variety of platings, the look is elegant and understated, and rollerballs and fountain pens are pretty much interchangeable - just swap the front end hardware and make sure it has a spring for the RB.

el_d

I would consider the Aero (feminine touch) or a jr gent II. The jr could be either rollerall or a fountain. Preferably both to swap them if needed.

But go visit Jon to see what you like and what would be the best fit for your inventory.

BTW get yourself a Jr Gent. FP, the sooner you get one the sooner you have a better understanding of it's workings........ my 02¢.

Rick P

Turn a pen or two you'll be really proud of! FP's are not any more difficult and well within your grasp. I personally would get a mix of kits ranging from low to high end. The gent, retro, Triton and statesmen all use the same bushings. Personally I dislike the sierra pens! Yes I do turn them as a "affordable" pen but I am not at all a fan of the kit.

GoodTurns

Brad did find his way to North Bowie this evening and we got to spend a couple hours in the shop picking out some goodies for him to try. very nice guy, look forward to having a local penturning buddy to hang out with! (bonus points for talking cars and bikes with Jeremy!)... I think he got his $50 worth!

crabcreekind

you can get jr gents in rollerball and fountain from timberbits for $4 ea.. This is where i buy them.. The nibs on the fountain pen is pretty good ( mainly because it doesnt say china on it)

Top Bottom