Hybrid / Worthless Wood Pen Movie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rossi

Hi all – I just completed and uploaded a short video on the making of a hybrid / "worthless wood" pen. The video is based almost entirely on the "worthless wood" tutorial and process that was developed by Curtis O. Seeback, as well as from commentary on this site regarding the topic. I hope you enjoy, and as always, comments and/or feedback are welcomed. -Rossi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE6UO7rNLZg

youtube.com/oswaldorossi

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

I like your movie. You highlighted the most interesting steps and kept it rolling along. The music was a nice touch, the lighting was very good and the sounds you included made it realistic. Now that I think about it, it might be the best pen making movie I have seen.:)

mson

I really enjoyed your video. I do have a question about the finishing.
After wet micro pad work, do you put any other compound on the blank ?
since the wood was stabilized, the wood is treated as the acrylic ?
thanks

walshjp17

Excellent video! Love the way you showed the essentials and made them meld together in a cohesive storyline. Well done.

Looks like you were using a carbide tool - square or R2?

SDB777

A lot of steps shown, a lot of days of preparing, and then the turning....followed by the "The End" on the tablet. Awesome!!

Where is the photo of the pen? What type of timber? We need more!!

Scott (well done on everything) B

ALA

Enjoyed the video very much! Just the way I like them, short and to the point. All in under 3 minutes. I also popped over and watched your video on
making a watch parts pen. Once again, very well done! :biggrin:

Tufftoy

Very nice!

I would love to see more movies like this!! I've made a couple "hybrid" blanks, but I would like to how other people go about making their own hybrid blanks.

Rossi

Hi Jeff - thanks for the feedback. I use Easy Wood Tool Ci2, with a square carbide tip. So far, this has given me the best results.

Rossi

I really enjoyed your video. I do have a question about the finishing.
After wet micro pad work, do you put any other compound on the blank ?
since the wood was stabilized, the wood is treated as the acrylic ?
thanks
Hi Martin (mson) - on this blank, I did the following routine after I finished turning: (a) light cleanse with denatured alcohol; (b) light BLO application; (c) MM up to 12k grit; (d) between 6 to 8 layers of medium CA; (e) another round of MM up to 12k; and (f) Hut Ultra-Gloss polish. As with most techniques, this is what I have found works for me, but am mindful that there are a number of other routines that I have found to be helpful.

Rossi

Excellent video! Love the way you showed the essentials and made them meld together in a cohesive storyline. Well done.

Looks like you were using a carbide tool - square or R2?
Hi John - I use the Easy Wood Tools Ci2 square. Works great most of the time! Thanks for watching.

Rossi

A lot of steps shown, a lot of days of preparing, and then the turning....followed by the "The End" on the tablet. Awesome!!

Where is the photo of the pen? What type of timber? We need more!!

Scott (well done on everything) B
Hi Scott - of course I committed the cardinal sin of giving the pen away as a gift before I snapped a good picture of it. I do have a camera phone picture of the pen, but for some reason, I have a really difficult time uploading images on this site. If you inbox me an email address, I can foward to you, and maybe you can help me to publish the picture. I'll make sure to do a better job of keeping an visual momento of my pens going forward. I used amboyna burl and buckeye burl (from Isaac), Cactus Juice (from Curtis), Jacques pearlescent pigment (from Blick Art), and Alumilite. I think the molds were from Fred Wissen. I'm going to start working on a new "Golf Ball Pen" video shortly - no timeframe yet on when it will be completed, as I've learned that sometimes life gets in the way of an intended production deadline! Thanks for watching.

mson

Hi Martin (mson) - on this blank, I did the following routine after I finished turning: (a) light cleanse with denatured alcohol; (b) light BLO application; (c) MM up to 12k grit; (d) between 6 to 8 layers of medium CA; (e) another round of MM up to 12k; and (f) Hut Ultra-Gloss polish. As with most techniques, this is what I have found works for me, but am mindful that there are a number of other routines that I have found to be helpful.

Oswaldo,

Thank you for sharing your methods.

mightymavkev

Nice work Oswaldo. I actually have just placed my first order from Curtis to try my hand at stabilization and eventually (hopefully anyway) making my own hybrid blanks like this.

It was really nice to see how well yours turned out.

Top Bottom