hybrid/modified slimlines

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ahoiberg

does anyone know exactly how these modified slimlines are put together?

they almost look like a sierra, with a small piece of wood toward the nib and then a larger piece (negating the use of a centerband) from the smaller piece all the way to the finial/clip.

i'm just curious to know how/where the transmission is pressed in because obviously the refill would stick out about 3 inches from the nib if you pressed it into the lower blank.

i'm also assuming you have to use custom made brass tubes?

thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Do you mean like this? If so, I'm pretty sure I've seen them on your vendors sites too. I like them as they really show off the blank

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/DKPP96

Check out Craigs beautiful example of the same pen in his topic ' Outdoors!' Just posted in Photography section

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The one your pointer goes to is called the Longwood from Penn State Industries - it is actually not a modified slimline.

Available from Woodturningz and others

its_virgil

Take a look at this folder of modified slimlines. http://tinyurl.com/y2nmj5 These pens are all made from standard slimline kits. They are assembled as any other slimline. The bottom tube is longer...the same as the bottom tube of the euro...about a tube's width longer. No centerband. The transmission must be pushed in a little further, but that's it. Email me if you need more information. I think there is one cigar hiding in this folder somewhere. Ignore it! [:D]
Do a good turn daily!
Don

It would help if we knew where "these slimlines" are located.
Originally posted by ahoiberg
<br />does anyone know exactly how these modified slimlines are put together?

they almost look like a sierra, with a small piece of wood toward the nib and then a larger piece (negating the use of a centerband) from the smaller piece all the way to the finial/clip.

i'm just curious to know how/where the transmission is pressed in because obviously the refill would stick out about 3 inches from the nib if you pressed it into the lower blank.

i'm also assuming you have to use custom made brass tubes?

thanks!

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Don,

do you have any instructions on how you did the clip end of the top and bottom pens in the "Provo 2005" picture?

GK

its_virgil

GK,
The bottom pen has leather disks on the upper barrel. Basically, those two pens are the same sytle. I wrote an articl on those two pens for More Woodturning a few months back. Send me an email and I will send you a copy of the article.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by gketell
<br />Don,

do you have any instructions on how you did the clip end of the top and bottom pens in the "Provo 2005" picture?

GK

Scott

Hi Andrew,

If I read your question right, you're asking about the slimline mods that have a very short fore-piece, and a very long barrel. If so, the brass tubes are the same as on a regular slimline, and the assembly is the same. The top barrel only has brass tube through the top part of it, and the bottom barrel has brass tube sticking out the top end of it. When you put the pen together the brass tubes end up close to each other, as they would in a regular slimline, allowing the top tube to fit over and operate the mechanism in the end of the bottom tube. The best example and clearest instructions of this style are to be found in an article in The American Woodturner by Angelo Ifrates a couple of years ago. Angelo is now President of the AAW.

The same theory is shown in the excellent article by Don Ward (Hi Don!) about arrow shaft pens at this link:

http://content.penturners.org/articles/2006/arrowpens.pdf

You'll see the brass tube sticking out of the wooden lower blank, and the brass tube is shorter than the upper blank, which is the arrow shaft. Same principle.

When modifying any pen, remember that there are a few things that have to be in place to make the pen function. For some it's a specific length, or particular parts - whatever. If you look closely, you will find that there are really very few of these mandatory things, and then everything else is available to be modified! To see what I mean, try assembling a pen just from the pen kit, with no turned barrels or anything, just the kit parts. And remember that some of the kit parts can be left out or modified as well. Open your imagination and almost anything can happen with your pens!

And remember to have fun! [:D]

Scott.

ahoiberg

sorry i didn't reply back all. i've been out of town for a week or so without internet access... so, thanks for all your replies.

scott, i'm glad you replied since seeing one of your pens was what got me interested in this topic in the first place. and you explained exactly what i'm after. thanks a bunch!

sorry about my poor attempt at explaining it! [:D]

edit in -- the reason i didn't post the picture in question was because i didn't want to step on scott's toes or anything by just reposting a picture of his pen... didn't know if that'd be kosher or not... [:)] next time i'll just get permission first, then ax the question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom