HUGE mistake...can the casing be saved?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JamesB

I am making 3 pens for co-workers from the casings fired at funerals, the first was easy, so I thought "Hey, I'm pretty good at this!" Not so fast...

On the two that happen to be for my boss, I left some epoxy in the tube, I tried scraping, sanding, and even the pen mill shaft to get it out and still I'm bending twist mechs and broke my pen press handle. :mad:

Trying to get the twisty out I lodged a punch firmly in it, added a new dent to the casing, "reshaped" the mouth, and unleashed a flurry of words that I'm glad my daughter didn't hear. Now I'm dreading telling my boss I ruined his son's special bullet from his grandfathers funeral.

Please, after you finish laughing at it, tell me if there's anything I can do to fix it. How can I get the punch out without destroying the casing and any ideas on the twisties. Also, has anyone had luck with chemical epoxy removers

PS. he asked that the crimps be left in.

Attachments

• oops.jpg
    oops.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 451
  • oops2.jpg
    oops2.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 358
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Xander

Ummm, not trying to be funny here but try putting it in the freezer for a few hours. Would the differential contraction of the 2 metals allow the punch to come out?

PedroDelgado

No big deal...... take a piece of wood, drill a hole that only the pin will fit in it. Put the pin in the hole and pull it with a pair of clamping pliers. Use a little piece of wood or other material to add a pivot point for the pliers and just make sure you apply constant pressure as you pull. This will prevent any damage to the casing. Good luck and lat me know how this works out. Or if you pay for the shipping, I'll do it for you.

mhbeauford

If you can put it in boiling water for a few minutes the epoxy will soften and you should be able to pull it out. Wear gloves it will be hot. That is the method I use to remove gemstones that were dopped with epoxy,
Martin

Akula

If you can put it in boiling water for a few minutes the epoxy will soften and you should be able to pull it out. Wear gloves it will be hot. That is the method I use to remove gemstones that were dopped with epoxy,
Martin

this ^

in the future, soak anything in acetone to dissolve any CA or epoxy

Xander

OK, I'm confused. Is the punch GLUED in or just stuck? Pedro's method should work. Or drive it out with a smaller punch from the other end. Anyway, good luck.

JamesB

OK, I'm confused. Is the punch GLUED in or just stuck? Pedro's method should work. Or drive it out with a smaller punch from the other end. Anyway, good luck.

Sorry Xander. Punch is stuck. It would be a trick to glue a punch in :biggrin:, that would be funny. I tried to hit it from the other side and it won't budge. The epoxy question was to get the epoxy from the end of the tube and possibly disassemble the unit. My main goal is not to damage it beyond repair.

in the future, soak anything in acetone to dissolve any CA or epoxy
Acetone works on epoxy too? I thought only CA.

Last edited:

Sylvanite

On occasion, when a transmission gets stuck and damaged (to the point that I can't pull or drive it out), and I want to save the cartridge, I'll drill it out.

Heat will debond, or just plain melt epoxy. Personally, I'd drill out the tube entirely and solder in a new one, but a torch on the case head should release the tube too.

The shellcase in question is pretty heavily creased. I don't think a resizing die will iron that out. If you want to send it to me, I'll see what I can do to reform the brass for you.

Regards,
Eric

Xander

I am making 3 pens for co-workers from the casings fired at funerals, the first was easy, so I thought "Hey, I'm pretty good at this!" Not so fast...

On the two that happen to be for my boss, I left some epoxy in the tube, I tried scraping, sanding, and even the pen mill shaft to get it out and still I'm bending twist mechs and broke my pen press handle. :mad:

Trying to get the twisty out I lodged a punch firmly in it, added a new dent to the casing, "reshaped" the mouth, and unleashed a flurry of words that I'm glad my daughter didn't hear. Now I'm dreading telling my boss I ruined his son's special bullet from his grandfathers funeral.

Please, after you finish laughing at it, tell me if there's anything I can do to fix it. How can I get the punch out without destroying the casing and any ideas on the twisties. Also, has anyone had luck with chemical epoxy removers

PS. he asked that the crimps be left in.
JamesB said:
Sorry Xander. Punch is stuck. It would be a trick to glue a punch in :biggrin:, that would be funny.

Trying hard not too :biggrin:

jmbaker79

Several of my punches dont fit back in the side by side holder as they have 3/4" blanks and tubes jammed on the end of them, usually just move on for the day, perhaps a smaller punch would help, i know the ones i have are really on there. Good luck with the project!

JamesB

Several of my punches dont fit back in the side by side holder as they have 3/4" blanks and tubes jammed on the end of them, usually just move on for the day, perhaps a smaller punch would help, i know the ones i have are really on there. Good luck with the project!

When that happens here, I take the dremel and just cut it off. If the casing was just a everyday casing I would have cut it off already.

Sylvanite

If you want to send it to me, I'll see what I can do to reform the brass for you.
Jim sent me the damaged shellcase, and I worked it over. I drilled out the tube; pushed the shoulder dent back (with a screwdriver inserted from the case head) as best I could; resized the brass in a 30-06 sizing die; sanded out as many of the dings, scratches, and tool marks as possible; seated a drilled bullet; soldered in a new tube; polished and powdercoated the cartridge; and installed a new 7mm transmission.

This is what it looks like now:
attachment.php

The little spot at the edge of the reflection on the case shoulder is all that remains of the original dent. It's no more noticable than another firing ding elsewhere on the shellcase.

Jim, I hope that relieves your dread.

Regards,
Eric

Attachments

• DentedShellcaseRepaired.jpg
    DentedShellcaseRepaired.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 440

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Congratulations Eric!!

This is the first I have read this thread, but you would be MY first "resource person" and the results tell you WHY!!

Nice job and REALLY kind of you to "make the save"!!!

JamesB

WOW!! Thanks Eric. I was going to wait til I got it to sing your praises (I knew it was going to look great, you do better photography than me as well, so it's best that you posted it) but seeing it now...that looks great!!!
My boss is going to be very pleased with it, and my other coworker (that I made one for) will be jealous.
And yes, it was very kind of you to make the save for me. I really appreciate it.
Jim

PS. The boss asked about the pen again this morning, I had to come clean and say it gave me a little problem and I had to send it to an expert.

Last edited:
Top Bottom