Huang Huali advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcm71

I recently won the Blanks, Blocks and Burls auction during the bash, and thanks to Mark James and Jeff have come into possession of a Huang Huali pen blank (along with lots of other great wood). I am looking for advice on what type of pen to use on this. The blank measures 11/16 inch square by 5.5 inches long. I am NOT going to put this beauty on a Long Clicker or a Slimline.

I did a cursory search for Huang Huali pen blanks, and the only thing I could find was from IAP member "Rarest Woods" from 2008. His last post on the forum was in 2009. Here's a link. http://www.penturners.org/forum/f167/huanghuali-b-cs-jichimu-zitan-blanks-39002/

My blank is probably a grade B blank, which was valued at $50 10 years ago. I have no idea how much it is worth now, which speaks volumes about Mark's generosity.

Input and suggestions welcome.

John

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcm71

I'd put it on a Majestic or something similar.

Not big enough for a Majestic or a Majestic Jr. for that matter. No way I am going to risk drilling a 12.5mm hole in a 11/16 inch square blank. My first thoughts were an Emperor or Bamboo, but again too big for the blank.

Last edited:

magpens

Drilling on the lathe you shouldn't have any problem for a 12.5 mm hole in an 11/16 square blank. 11/16 = 0.6875" = 17.5 mm which leaves you a wall thickness after drilling of 2.5 mm

Round the blank between centers first. . You really only have to round partially and then grip in the 4-jaws for drilling.

But you have to keep the sawdust from every cut you make ... it's worth bucks !!

You could cast the sawdust and make another ... casting tube-in, you might get two.

Last edited:

GoodTurns

Take your time drilling (and yes, you can put a 12.5 mm hole in ther, Magpens is on the money there). Don't overheat as these blanks are legitimately hundreds of years old and can crack if you get too aggressive. The oils are dry, so it should take whatever finish you choose. I have made them with everything from a simple buff finish to CA...even a "B" grade blank will make a beautiful pen with a story. (and a proper price tag).

Top Bottom