HSS or Carbide for brand new turner?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Garry Hirsch

Hi to all,

I am soon to get a lathe hopefully and I thought I would get the 4 carbide tools at this site

http://www.harrisonspecialties.com/m...theAccessories

instead of HSS tools as sharpening looks tough to do??

I'm primarily interested in pen turning ( newbee) but may turn other stuff as skills improve?? I asked this question on another forum and the concensus there was go HSS not carbide so what to do?

Thanks in advance for your input,

Garry :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

The tools that take the carbide inserts will not cover all aspects of pen turning. There are situations where you will want a parting tool, gouge or skew. I think if I were to start all over again I would still start out with the HSS and then get the carbide once my skills improved. The carbide is also a great tool for trustone and M3 blanks.

terryf

Good advice from MLK so I wont add anything to that but I would like to add that you should try turning other stuff first before you try turning pens.

Making a lamp for example is probably a lot easier than turning a pen because the bigger you work the easier it is (within reason of course).

Turning a pen is very fine work that requires precision and you might want to hone your turning skills a bit before going so small.

Lamps and small table legs etc are ideal to start on in my opinion.

Good luck

Hi to all,

I am soon to get a lathe hopefully and I thought I would get the 4 carbide tools at this site

I'm primarily interested in pen turning ( newbee) but may turn other stuff as skills improve?? I asked this question on another forum and the concensus there was go HSS not carbide so what to do?

David Keller

I'd vote for HSS. I have a few carbide tools, but I rarely use them. For me, a sharp HSS tool and good technique gets me a better finish than I get with the carbide tools. Sharpening is important, but it's not all that tough. Congrats on the incoming lathe!

I will buy nothing other than carbide, unless it is a specialty tool that doesn't come in carbide.
Amazon has a 3 pc set 3/8 gouge/skew/parting tools from PSI for around 50 buck free shipping. If i break one at the braze ( I have done this) I just buy another set and they last wayyyyyyyyyy longer then HHS (as in sharpness) and do not have the hassle of constantly sharpening them

turningfish

Go with the HSS. After a few pens you're going to have to sharpen that tool. HSS will take a lot of heat while grinding without losing it's temper. Good for learning on. If you can't sharpen well , you won't be able to turn. Practice and it will become second nature. Then you can work on a CA finish. That realy killed me. Took a while to get it right. Welcome to the insanity!!!!!!!!!!!!

ctubbs

I vote for HSS first, carbide later as the need arises. Just like learning to drive, learn on a straight shift, then everything else works just fine. do not buy the small 'pen turning' set. They are specialized and do not work well on larger items. The full size tools work well on pens too. I have the Woodchuck bowl pro carbide tool. It is a wonderful tool but it will not replace all the other tools when turning. Get the HSS tools and learn to sharpen. If I can do it, so can you. Make shavings and post photos. When you have a question, ask it with photos if possible.
Charles

thewishman

Carbide tools are very nice. I think it is important to get a good experience and have some turning success early in the process.

Learning to sharpen is a completely different skill that takes practice, which takes time away from turning. It comes with a new set of complications and costs that detract from pen making - which is what the reason you are doing this. If you can't get the tools sharp, you won't be able to turn. That can make the hobby a frustration rather that a fun thing.

Buy the carbide now. Learn to turn. You can add the HSS tools and grinder (and sharpening system and hones and wheel dresser...) after you decide that this hobby is one you want to stick with.

Whatever you decide, spend money on GOOD sandpaper.

My go to tool is an oval skew, but it took time to learn how to sharpen it and how to use it.

Heck

Gary,
I to am a newbie, I have both HSS and Carbide tools.
I say in time you will be using a carbide tool. You may learn quickly and find that you love and never look back, slow light cuts..
So check this out:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=75023

And then get you one of these:
http://www.indy-pen-dance.com/Wood-Chuck-Pen-Pro.html

Mike and Linda have excellent customer service and fast shipping.

It's a great deal and you will to use the tool, so it's not wasted money.

I always look at bang for the buck...

Welcome aboard my friend.

its_virgil

Carbide tools are easier to use than standard wood turning skews and gouges. Success in the beginning will make your woodturning experience fun and enjoyable and you will want to continue to learn and develop skill. I kn ow several guys who started turning and gave it up because they were not willing to spend the time to learn to use traditional tools and their early experiences were not successful. I vote for carbide to start. Carbide tools are easy to use and have a very low learning curve. Once you strengthen your skills you can begin using traditional tools and learn to use them. While carbide tools available are all excellent tools I think one tool rises to the top of all the choices and those are the tools from Easy Wood Tools. Craig has spent the $$$ and time to develop cutters designed for cutting wood. Give them some consideration along with your other excellent choices. Happy turning.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

hdtran

Hi to all,

If you're new: (Speaking as someone who is still new to the craft) :

Get the least expensive set of either HSS (or even carbon steel!) gouges. Harbor Freight (no kidding!) gouge set for $20 or so. http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-wood-lathe-turning-tool-kit-3793.html

Get eye protection (I prefer a full face shield).

Go buy a bunch of cheap wood from Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Poplar, pine 2x2s, etc.

Set up a sharpening jig, and learn to sharpen your steel tools. Turn the cheap wood into skinny spindles. Learn how wood interacts with the cutting edge. It's easy to learn if you just want to make funny-shaped sticks; it's much harder to learn if you have $ invested in your wood. It's easy to learn to sharpen on the $20 Harbor Freight tools. They'll get just as sharp an edge as the $100 PM HSS forged tool. (They won't last as long, but you don't care). Because it's an inexpensive tool set, you won't mind re-sharpening, and learning what works with the sharpening jig and what doesn't. Once you've re-sharpened your inexpensive tools to the nub, you can get the better tools.

Set up some exercises, as in "can I make something really really straight & cylindrical"?

Once you're pretty comfortable making spindles (and having fun doing it!), then, go ahead & spend some $.

I bought a carbide tool. I love it, but I don't use it all the time. I still use a roughing gouge to rough; I'm still learning the skew for beads. The carbide tool goes in for the finish cut when the shape works for it, and allows me to start sanding at fairly high grits.

Welcome, be safe, and have fun!!!

PenMan1

I go to the shop to make things, not spend all of my time and money trying to sharpen dull tools. I use carbide tools almost exclusively. When and if you graduate from wood to alternative materials, carbon steel and hss steel just don't make the grade.

For example, on high gloss black acrylics, no matter how well you sand, it is virtually impossible to get all of the scratches made by hss out of the finished product.

I agree with Don, IMHO a quality set of carbide tools is a much better investment for the beginner. Not only is it easier to obtain acceptable results from the beginning, but if you decide not to turn, the carbide tools can be easily sold. Cheap carbon or HSS tools have no resale value, just wasted money.

Respectfully submitted
P

RMckin5324

:confused: So I have a question about this thread. When you talk about carbide are you speaking about the replaceable tip Carbide cutting tips like a Woodchuck or a Easywood or are you talking about the one that PSI sells that are like standard tools but have Carbide tips.
I have been using a standard crown HSS set as I've been learning on, I've since bought a Sorby Spindle master that I use all time and I just received a Woodchuck that I'm working on turning a handle for.

LeeR

I've been turning for a few months, and I have a full-sized Harbor Freight HSS lathe tool set. I have a grinder that I put a Norton fine grit wheel on, and have learned to sharpen by hand -- I do not even have any of the jigs you can get for grinders. I probably will replace my grinding setup at some point, to save time and get faster, more consistent results, but I view my methods used now as a great way to learn to sharpen. If I go thru my $40 set of tools faster than expected, no worries, I'll buy more. I will say that I bought a mini SpindleMaster on a whim, and I do not like using mini tools for pens. My full set feels more stable to me. If I get into turning tiny projects, then I can see the advantage of a mini set. I think the HF tools are great for learning, and I've also looked at the Benjamin's Best at PSI -- which have gotten pretty good reviews.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Personally I prefer HSS to Carbide. I have both, and only use the Carbide in odd situations where the piece won't cooperate with my HSS tool. I do a mix to pens and other things, if I was just turning pens, I might go with Carbide all the time, but for the other turnings I do, I get MUCH better results from HSS.

ctubbs

I would not buy the Pen Pro because it is limited in size. The bowl pro is full size and turns pens just fine. It will also work on larger items whereas the Pen Pro, due to its size, will have difficulties with the larger work. I love my WoodChuck Bowl Pro. It worked so well when it came in, I used the bare tool (no handle) to turn the handle for it out of white oak. The Bowl Pro is a wonderful tool. Will it do everything? No, I still need my other tools to make some cuts, but the Bowl Pro is my go to tool. When the lathe turns on, the first tool in my hand is the Bowl Pro. YMMV but I doubt it.
Charles

Mac

Sharpening tools is part of turning. With that said, I have both carbide and HSS. I use HSS a lot more than carbide. If you want to be limited by all means buy carbide. Don't forget your ABCs --anchor- bevel -cut.
PS -Did anybody tell you that you are intering a VORTEX.
I would suggest that you join a local wood turning club. They have a wealth of knowledge. www.woodturner.org go to find a chapter- click on your state.

KenV

Garry -- you join me and a bunch of others in being part of the grey haired brigade.

I have arithritis in my lower joints and do a lot of turning sitting on a stool. I can stand and turn but it hurts after a while -- especially the next day.

My line is "carbide is for cripples" and I are one. -- I can turn with the carbide insert tools without making lots of trips to the grinder. Both the EZ Tools and the Hunter Tools use a very fine matrix carbide insert that produces a good finish ready for high grit number sanding. I especially like the hunter tools for poly resin blanks as by taking the ends down first I rarely loose a turning to chipping out.

I do use a skew a lot and use a diamond hone a lot when it could be sharper.

I have a bucket of HSS tools and can grind -- and get off the stool for large bowls (until shear scraping time).

Do not hesitate to get some good quality carbide tools to begin. By that, I suggest strongly you use the better name brand until you have learned how they handle -- then go for the knockoffs with the planer inserts. You will then know from experience the difference and tradeoffs. (Yup I have some and made some cheap ones -- and they do not feel or perform quite the same as the EZ tools or especially the Hunter).

Top Bottom