How would you fix this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

preacherman

I have a segmented blank with teak burl and maple. Separating the segments is aluminum. I have a small bit of tear out right at the aluminum that goes all the way to the brass tube. I was hurrying trying to finish and did not notice until after I applied the CA.
I took this pic to show the tear out. The maple segments are same length top and bottom of this blank (cap) as well as the barrel blank. What would be the best way to repair? Or can it be saved?

image-1590101943.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Perhaps you can part off the maple and aluminum, square up a new shoulder then glue back on your aluminum and maple...turn again.

Maybe someone else will have another idea.

preacherman

Perhaps you can part off the maple and aluminum, square up a new shoulder then glue back on your aluminum and maple...turn again

That's what I'm think I'll have to do. The only reason I did not do that is the maple segments are exactly the same length cap and barrel and doing that would change the dimensions. Hoping there a way to save as is. Without having to redo the barrel also.

Charlie_W

Sounds like this is the cap. You might be able to get away with it being just a touch shorter and still add back on the exact length maple. If you have a finished pen of this type, you can check to see how much extra room there is in the cap before the pen refill or nib touches inside the cap. If needed, you can make a custom finial with just a touch more room inside.

plano_harry

The best answer is probably what Charlie suggested, but another option would be to use a thin parting tool to cut a groove and fill with black epoxy, ground stone or the material of your choice. But then you would have to be successful at that four times!

preacherman

If that's the cap, will the clip cover it?

This is the cap but I'm not going to do that.

I tried to cut away some teak with the intent of adding epoxy inlay like Harry suggested. Thanks Harry great suggestion!!! However, I damaged the aluminum; had a catch and it tore away taking part of the maple with it this time. So for now I have parted the maple and aluminum off, squared up the teak and re-glued the aluminum and maple section.

I think I am just going to leave this one a little longer than all the others. Its only touch longer anyway but if I get it together I might add a custom finial from maple to give more light colored wood at the other end of the cap.

Thanks everyone for the help! Ill keep you posted on this endeavor.

Top Bottom