How would you cut this piece of wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvin1

I came across this piece of Curly Redwood the other day at one of the guys where I buy wood.

While the curl is nice, it's going to be too thin I think for pens. The grain however is very exceptional, with some very nice tight, well defined growth rings.

Being fairly new to pens, which way would you cut this piece for pen blanks if it were you? With the grain, diagonal to the grain, 90 degrees to the grain?

2005110212036_DSC00814.jpg

And yes, to be upfront, I will be offering them for sale. I mention this as I see how some might be offended giving advice to someone who is going to try and make a profit from their free advice.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dmadis

How about cutting two adjacent pieces and glueing them face to face, bookmatched faces together so you end up with about normal thickness for a pen blank. I have some thin figured walnut I am going to try that on. Could also put a piece of contrasting wood in between.

Darrell

Doghouse

I think you are correct, there are places on there where some would look fantastic cut on the bias, and others would look best with the curl showing. Why not try laying out the different cuts with a piece of chalk then using the band saw to cut them out. That way you could maximize yield, while still getting a mix of cuts from the one piece.

G

Cross grain ALWAYS has a nice effect while longrain may sometimes be iffy.

daledut

I personally would not cut it at a 90 to the grain. I find that about 13 degress or there abouts will give real good grain figure without making ti more dificult to turn. When you cut straight across the grain you end up with alternating end and face grain. This can cause tool chater and some wood is more prone to blowouts in a cross grain configuration. If you are careful, of course the results are nice but I still like the bias better than cross cut. Just my 2 cents worth.

Corvin1

Thanks for the great suggestions. I'm sorry when I said thin, I meant the 'curl' was going to be too thin, as in not close enough together to show well in a pen. The wood thickness will be okay.

Chris

its_virgil

Curly redwood can be dangerous to cut into pen blanks. Why don't you just send it to me..I'm willing to take the risk and OI'll let you know how it did. Heck, I'll even post pictures of the blanks, pens too! :)
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by Corvin1
<br />I came across this piece of Curly Redwood the other day at one of the guys where I buy wood.

While the curl is nice, it's going to be too thin I think for pens. The grain however is very exceptional, with some very nice tight, well defined growth rings.

Being fairly new to pens, which way would you cut this piece for pen blanks if it were you? With the grain, diagonal to the grain, 90 degrees to the grain?

And yes, to be upfront, I will be offering them for sale. I mention this as I see how some might be offended giving advice to someone who is going to try and make a profit from their free advice.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Corvin1

Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />Curly redwood can be dangerous to cut into pen blanks. Why don't you just send it to me..I'm willing to take the risk and OI'll let you know how it did. Heck, I'll even post pictures of the blanks, pens too! :)
Do a good turn daily!
Don

[quote

Hey Don!

Thanks for your concern. I was thinking about it and it wouldn't be right for me to ask you to cut my Redwood on your saw. And on your time no less.

How about I send you a bandsaw and a check for your time?

Normally, I would just PayPal you, but it just so happens that I have an cashiers check, drawn on the National Bank of Ethiopia, for 1.2 million sand dollars. Could you assist me with cashing this item.

I will send you the check, the wood, the saw and you PayPal me $200.

Do we have a deal[8D]

Chris

its_virgil

Don't know Dale, Know anyone who takes sand dollars? 1.2 million of them is a lot for $200, saw and wood included. It was worth a try though.

Good luck with the redwood....hope it turns out nice for you...and profitable.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

dougle40

I think that the only thing that Chris left out of his last post was the fact that he came by this money because a distant relative (who he's never heard of ) died in a plane crash 10 years ago and the Nigerian government gave him 20% of $2,650,000 for claimimg it . And he only had to send them a check for $1500.00 to cover costs !![:I][:D][:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom