How would you cut this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffj13

Here is a cocobolo bowl blank that I have decided to turn into pen blanks. You ar looking at the end grain.

How would you cut this? Would you cut the blanks with the grain or across the grain?

tn_cocobolo%20bowl%20blank01.jpg

jeff

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

Jeff,
I would go across the grain. The way the grain is the blanks would look very much like the DI burl we bought from Nolan. Going along the grain would make for a pretty boring straight grain blank.

Nolan, why don't you chime in here as I think you are one of, if not the best when it comes to cutting for grain/color/look.

redfishsc

Jeff, you didn't mention the dimensions. If the block is wide enough to yeild a good 5"-5.5" long blank, a true 90* cross-cut would look fine. If the blank is not wide enough, I would certainly do a bias cut (30-75*) to get whatever lenght is appropriate.

Another consideration is the grain. I have done some woods with a 90* cross cut that, once I turned the pen, it looked just like a straight-grain pen--- the problem was that the endgrain did not have a strong "bend" or curl in the grain-- it was only faint. Your block seems to have a moderate "bend". In other words, the annular rings in the end grain have a nice tight arc if it is closer to the pith of the tree. If the block came from wood further away from the pith of the tree (especially a big tree), crosscutting may not yeild a grain much other than "straight" on our pens....thus making the pen harder to turn but not nicer.

Since yours has a moderate arc, and not a very tight arc, you might consider cutting them on a bias--- instead of a straight 90* crosscut, try cutting them at a 70* or a 60* angle (a good miter saw to make the first cut is very helpful, and you can bandsaw the rest to save wood). Thus you get a very interesting "loop" look in the pen as well as something a touch easier to turn than a solid 90* crosscut.

jeffj13

Thank you for your replies.

Yeah, I probably should have provided the dimensions. The blank is 8 3/4" square and 2" thick.

Thanks again.

jeff

jeffj13

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />Probably approaching heresy here, but that would make a beautiful bowl. [:0]

Frank,

It probably would, but I have an order for 15 cigar pens and this way I won't have to buy blanks.

Don't worry though, I have another blank just like it.[:D]

jeff

Firefyter-emt

Jeff, seeing as it's 8.75" you will be left with overly long blanks. I would slice a 2" chunk along the grain to give you a 2"x2"x8.75" blank, then slice off another 1" slab and cut that in half. This will yield two 1"x1"x8.75 blanks. You will be left with 5.75" long cross cut blanks that can be sliced into 3/4 square or what you desire. sliced up for pen blanks with plenty of room for all the kerf loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom