How well does trustone laser engrave?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GouletPens

I just got in some Trustone goodies and I know that some of my customers are going to want them to be engraved. I did a quick search but came up empty, so can anyone give me some insight here? I have on hand red with gold web, black with gold web, malachite, larimar, and turquoise with black web. I'm assuming since they can be turned that they can also be engraved, but how well does it show up, esp. on the dark ones? Or are they like acrlyics where they engrave white? Do they have to be backfilled? I'm just trying to avoid reinventing the wheel if someone's already done it first :wink:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Engraves just fine. They just need to turn up the power on the laser. You can color fill and have it standout, or leave it as is for a subdude look. But nothing out of the ordinary to laser engrave.

TurnaPen

Agree with Anthony, engrave ok, but must back fill with colour to make it stand out. Gold or Silver will be best, I usually choose between the two depending on the blank and the kit being used. Amos

Last edited:

GouletPens

So when you guys backfill on Trustone, do you need to seal the backfill? I've backfilled wood before with a CA coating and it just leveled off with the CA finish. Do you CA over the backfill on Trustone, or will the colorfill adhere well enough to the stone to be okay bare?

GouletPens

Engraves just fine. They just need to turn up the power on the laser. You can color fill and have it standout, or leave it as is for a subdude look. But nothing out of the ordinary to laser engrave.
Ah! I knew you were on here, Anthony! I love the refills by the way. They write really smooth and are a little finer line than the Parker Gels, which is what I'm hoping will make them last a lot longer. The SuperBowls write more like the Parker Gels, but I imagine they don't last as long. My customers have complained a bit about how long Parker Gels last (or don't last, really). I think part of that is because of the fact once they buy a nice pen they tend to only use that pen, which would of course make the refill run out quicker, and part of it is because the Parker Gels just DUMP ink on the page. I'm hoping the Easy Flow 9000's go over well, I'll let you know. I love the Trustone you picked out, and I'm excited to try it. I've never done Trustone before! Everyone, buy your Trustone from Anthony!:wink::biggrin:

Rollerbob

Ah! I knew you were on here, Anthony! I love the refills by the way. They write really smooth and are a little finer line than the Parker Gels, which is what I'm hoping will make them last a lot longer. The SuperBowls write more like the Parker Gels, but I imagine they don't last as long. My customers have complained a bit about how long Parker Gels last (or don't last, really). I think part of that is because of the fact once they buy a nice pen they tend to only use that pen, which would of course make the refill run out quicker, and part of it is because the Parker Gels just DUMP ink on the page. I'm hoping the Easy Flow 9000's go over well, I'll let you know. I love the Trustone you picked out, and I'm excited to try it. I've never done Trustone before! Everyone, buy your Trustone from Anthony!:wink::biggrin:

Such a shameless plug!!

GouletPens

Okay, here's how they engraved. Now this was on square blanks, but should give a pretty good idea. The malachite was the only one that kiiiiiiinda looks okay, but I'm pretty sure if you want the engraving to be seen at all then backfilling is in order. Enjoy the pics!

Attachments

• TrustoneEngraving01.jpg
    TrustoneEngraving01.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 223
  • TrustoneEngraving02.jpg
    TrustoneEngraving02.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 251
  • TrustoneEngraving03.jpg
    TrustoneEngraving03.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 211

GouletPens

It probably depends on what type of trustone you're engraving. I engraved mine using an Epilogue 45 watt with 30 speed and 100 power.

Top Bottom