How well does pitch pine turn?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

got a couple small boards of pitch pine from a old barn in the UK. The barn was over 200 years old and used for maltings where they used hops and barley for whiskey and beer.

Just wondering if they are worth the time for pens or if I should stick to my original plan and use them for box tops. (sorry no discernable whiskey smell as I'd really hoped).

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Splinter

If the wood is anything like old Southern Yellow Pine it makes a nice pen, especially if you cut the blank on a bias across the grain at about 30-40 degrees. I have made some from 70+ year old SYP that came out of the house I was born and raised in .... and now live in and also some from the sills of my Great Granfather's house that was well over 100 years old and the crosss grain is really nice. At least to me.

Rifleman1776

In my opinion, it is not even good firewood. However, being that old, it might be hard and turnable. Or, it might become dust when you touch it with a tool. Pine and woodturning do not even belong in the same conversation, IMHO.

fyrcaptn

turn it!

southern yellow pine, especially the really old stuff is beautiful wood. I also have a supply of old syp that came from the house my dad built and I grew up in.
I use it for a lot of different woodworking.
It is NOT the stuff that the big box stores sell as "pine".
This stuff is gorgeous, tight grained, full of character, works well, and finishes great.
Turn some pens from it. At worst you'll learn it wasn't the idea of the year and get some knowledge and practice out of it.

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
I aquired a few pieces of reclaimed heart pine, and have made some beautiful pens . As soon as I can get some photos I will post some of my work. as of now I don't have a good camera

Top Bottom