How well do stylus work?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vacca rabite

I made a kit bashed stylus, and I'm no thrilled with how it works. I guess I need more metal to conduct the charge from my fingers. Mine is almost all wood.

How well do the other stylus kits work?

Zach

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

I made a slimline stylus for my wife, and it works fine. Better than using your finger. Especially on a phone, but she mostly uses it for her Ipad.

Dan Masshardt

Pennstate stylus works fine. I'm just not a big fan of the little black plastic peice toward the top. I just turned a craft supplies stylus so we'll see on that one.

Old Lar

I've made eight or ten now that have sold. Everyone really likes them. I have made from wood and acrylic. l use one for my cell phone and kindle. They work much better than my fat fingers.

vacca rabite

These are the kits bash ones I made today.
I used parts from the Woodcraft mini stylus.
On this one I used a kit tube at either end, and the middle is tubeless. Later, when I realized they need to be conductive I stuffed the center with tin foil.
8523669470_ab98e8b393_z.jpg

On this one I used a 9/32th tube from home depot. It is .14mm bigger then a true 7mm tube. There was not enough friction to hold the fittings in, so I used a drop of CA.
8522556231_2c624ca34c_z.jpg

The both work, but just not as well as I would like on either my iPhone or Android tablet.

Now that I have made them, I would not make any more of the woodcraft ones. Penn State Ind has a better system with the replaceable nibs. the nibs on the woodcraft kits are NOT durable. I would not consider either of these to be salable due to the non-replacable nibs.
Zach

Last edited:

Penultimate

I wonder why no one makes one with the metal tip that looks like steel wool. I used one of those on my phone recently, and it didn't miss a beat.

Are you referring to conductive fabric? It is gray and depending on what side use can look fuzzy. I make my stylus' from this material because I write with the stylus. It give the feeling of writing with a felt tip marker.

I have one on the lathe now that is all wood. I'm making an aluminum ferrule. I for thats enough metal.

gbpens

I sold about 50 last year, all made out of dymondwood. Customers like them. My wife and I both use them with out any problems. A lot better then fat fingers. The kits came from CSUSA.

Whaler

I have an iPad with Retina display and my wife has a Kindle Fire all of these work well. The parts are from CSUSA.

Attachments

• Styli.jpg
    Styli.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 308

MarkD

I have probably used 50 or more of the CSUSA stylus tips and they work great. I have not received a single complaint.

MTViper

I've made a lot of stylus pens and stylus without pens and they work great and everyone loves them. In the slimline style, my wife prefers the Berea kit while I like the PSI kit. I've made a ton of Sierra stylus pens. The ones with the circuit board blanks really look good. My new favorite is a Cigar stylus pen, available only from Bear Tooth Wood as far as I know. Love the look and feel.

Steve Busey

I made a PSI slim for my everyday pen, and eventually wore through the soft tip - was surprised how thin it is. I ordered some replacement tips, which "seem" a little thicker, but it might be my imagination.

FYI - I used a free app on my iPod Touch to demo the stylii pens - SketchBook MobileX, which is very responsive to stylus doodling.

bradh

I made a closed end stylus for the wife and it doesn't work the greatest, unless you have finger contact with the metal.
I think the full pen versions would work better since you will touch the centerband or the clip almost all the time.

Attachments

• stylus-rs.jpg
    stylus-rs.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 90
Top Bottom