How Is Walnut For Turning?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Spec Grade

I have a lot of walnut blanks for making pens. I tried turning some today, but I stopped because of the large pores in the wood. Will this wood turn down OK, or do I need to CA it to finish turning it?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mick

Are you sure it's Walnut? I've never seen it with "large" pores. It normally turns and beautifully. One of the only drawbacks, as Lou mentioned in an earlier post, allergic reaction to Walnut is very very common. Despite this it remains one of my favorite wood to work with or turn.

gr8danish

Walnut is nice to turn... If you wipe on a good quality sanding sealer, it will really bring out the rich brown color.

I REALLY like walnut burl, and even Walnut crotch! I scored on a KILLER 5/4 3' x 1.5' board of walnut crotch in the BARGAIN BIN of a local exotic wood supplier. I guess someone didn't know what they had... The crotch has a wicked looking half quilted have burly look to it.

GaryMGg

Walnut is characterized as an open grained wood. It turns great but more care is required to obtain a spectacular finish than say hard maple, cherry, or many exotics.
Walnut burl is not necessarily open grained.

keithlong

I have turned a lot of walnut and I love it, it is open grained, but will finish up nicely, just be patient. I am currently making some mini birdhouse christmas ornaments, and using some walnut for the top pieces. I will post pics when I have em finished.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Normally when I turn walnut with open grain it doesnt affect the turning just the finishing. I would have to put a coat or 2 on and then sand it down lightly until the grain areas were filled. Then regular finishing of the blank. If you dont use something to fill the pores of the grain you get divots in the finish.

papaturner

Walnut does indeed turn very well.This is one of many that I have turned and the finish does well also.

Attachments

• tycoon.JPG
    tycoon.JPG
    13.2 KB · Views: 119

Chasper

Walnut is a weed with a undeserved reputation as a quality wood. I find it good for fence posts, it doesn't rot. It turns nicely, but makes boring pens.

sbwertz

I turn almost all my walnut cross grain. It makes bands of light and dark across the pen and really highlites the chatoyancy.

Sharon

Top Bottom