How too remove Sierra Transmission

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johncrane

first unscrew body or nib end
Remove ink refill
Find yourself a small steel rod about 4inch long and about 5/64 round l think from memory.
Next push the steel rod all the way thru the transmission wrap some nonslip material around the pen barrel to protect the finish, Now grip the barrel, place the clip near the your finger nails, place your thumb over the cap, Now knock the rod on some thing solid. The thumb over cap stops it flying off. these photos should help
2008611121546_100_5252.jpg

Now with the cap removed you can get too the transmission.
Next you will need a 7mm steel rod.
Don't use (ANY BIGGER ROD) because there is a small brass bush inside the tube. A 7mm rod goes past this bush will no problems.
now with your steel rod in the cap end push out the transmission buy tapping the steel rod onto some thing solid,the same way as before. l use a flat piece of steel, don't forget wrap up the barrel too protect the finish

2008611132446_100_5254.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
John,

Thank-you for the advice!!

I was able to get the transmission out by simply grabbing the threaded end with a cuticle clipper and turning it out, gently.

However, as I looked at the situation, I wondered if a "tee nut" might not be a good tool to design to thread onto the end of the transmission and pull.

Of course, the thread is probably NOT a standard, but I will be looking into making such a tool, now that I know the difficulty CAN exist.

YOUR WAY, however, will work with many different transmission issues - I have used it in the past on "cross" pens.

Thanks again for taking the time to do this, I appreciate your help!!!!

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
John, thanks for the note about the 7mm rod and no larger. That helps. Not to hijack this thread, but you need to post that custom made ivory Sierra in the SOYP forum. That is one Beautiful pen![:p]

Top Bottom