How thick is a typical CA finish?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
In an attempt to perfect my fit I am going to start using digital calipers. I have read several posts were people use them to determine when they have turned the ends of their blanks down to the right size rather than using the bushings.

So, once I have measured the size of the pen kit how much should I subtract to compensate for a typical CA finish?

Thanks,

Todd

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kf4knf

Oh, good question! I am getting a set of calipers for xmas - I hope! [}:)]

I wont think CA would add that much to the diameter. I use just a few drops for the entire pen.

bradh

I do not make any allowance for the CA or the sanding. I measure the wood with calipers and try to get it exactly the same size as the fitting. I sand and finish and the blank size matches pretty darn close to the fitting.
Brad

its_virgil

Turn a scrap piece down and sand it. Measure it. Apply your "typical" CA finish and when it is the way you like it, then remeasure and subtract. Your typical finish may be thicker or thinner than others. Some do 4 or 5 coats and others do 2 or 3. I would think this measurement would be unique for each penmaker. Well, maybe not unique, but not the same for all of us. [;)]

Oh, BTW, the calipers with .xxx (3-digit) readout are much better than the ones with .xx(two digit) readout. A few thousandths makes a difference. Some day I will learn to read the dial type.[:D]

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by godfreytoddanderson
<br />In an attempt to perfect my fit I am going to start using digital calipers. I have read several posts were people use them to determine when they have turned the ends of their blanks down to the right size rather than using the bushings.

So, once I have measured the size of the pen kit how much should I subtract to compensate for a typical CA finish?

Thanks,

Todd

sandking

I use the HF digital calipers (got them for $9 on sale one day). I turn until the ends are about 0.005-0.008 larger than the inserts. I figure it leaves me enough room to sand.

Don, I think your idea is a good one. There have been a couple of pens where I wanted a glassy finish and I ended up adding enough CA thickness that the blank was proud of the fittings but it was all CA. I'll have to do an experiment with "my thick" and "my thin" CA finish and see what I get.

sandking, I hadn't thought about the sanding part. That seems like an important part too.

I've got the three digit Harbor Freight digital calipers too and love them. Can't beat the price.

Thanks for the comments.

Todd

cueman

Tod,
When I get a new set of bushings I dedicate them to either plastics or wood. The plastics bushings I check with calipers to make sure they are the correct size and use them as is, and the wood bushings, I turn off between .015 &.020 off the total diameter of the bushing, that way after I sand and apply the CA I end up with finish that is about .007 - .010 thick, which is about the thickness of a business card. I still double check the diameter with the calipers before I assemble the pen though. I have never used digital calipers, affraid that I would destroy them too fast [:)]. Hope this helps.

Douglas.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Is there such a thing as a "typical" CA finish? The thickness depends on how many coats, how thick the coats, and how much is sanded off between coats.

For what it's worth, I checked 2 different CA finishes for thickness last night. These are my "typical" for last night based on a sample of One. They may be different today.

4 coats of Thin CA that were sanded with 600-grit between coats were 0.002" thickness, for a diameter increase of 0.004"

3 coats of Medium Ca applied with BLO and sanded with 600-grit between coats were 0.004 thickness, for a diameter increase of 0.008".

its_virgil

Yea, the metal set, but not the hard plastic set. Only two digits. And yes, I find the little .0005 very annoying (trying to get it to be .0000), but useful somewhat.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by ctEaglesc
<br />The $16.00 set from HF will do 4 digits.
(It's hard to get that.0005 to stop bliking sometimes though)

redfishsc

Our cabinet shop uses a fairly costly name brand digital caliper that is a x.0000 type (four significant digits). Virgil is right about the .0005 thing. Ours flickers back and forth between .0000 and .0005, and this set cost the company over $100. Note that wasn't my decision! I would have gotten the HF set for sure.

bob393

If everything goes acording to plan, and it never does, the final sanding and than the final finish should kind of even out to the right size. I think, maybe, perhaps, sort of,,,,,.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom