How to stabilize the color of Purple/Red heart

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I would love to make some pens for the Red-Hat society around here but I don't want the colors to "fade to brown" over time. Anyone know how stabilize the colors?

Thanks
GK

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bradh

I have read that a good finish that filters UV light will work. I even tried using some armour-all to coat the wood. Don't know how stable the colour was, but the coating messed up the rest of my finish.
I don't know how well the UV coating will work, because I have seen postings here from people who shift the colour of Purpleheart with heat too.
Hope this helps,
Brad Harding

Rifleman1776

As far as I can tell, there presently is not product on the market which will 'fix' the color of purpleheart. There was at one time. It was sold by a vendor who was known as the Lumber Lady. But she died and did not pass on the formula for her product. Her business closed and the web site has not been maintained for some time now.

its_virgil

GK,
I make several red pens for a local high school. I use curly maple and dye the wood with red aniline dye and finish with CA. I like the result. Here is a picture. I'm sure the dye comes in purple. Purple and red PVC rod is also available.

2007115161739_floor-1.jpg
<br />

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by gketell
<br />I would love to make some pens for the Red-Hat society around here but I don't want the colors to "fade to brown" over time. Anyone know how stabilize the colors?

Thanks
GK

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Don,
Those are gorgeous! That may be the way to go if I want colors that will stick around.

Thanks for sharing.
Greg Ketell

Woodlvr

Don,
Great looking pens. I wonderif my local HS would miss a piece or two out of their floor? Have you ever tried the Oak hardwood flooring for making a pen? My daughter had half of her house done in bome beautiful oak but I am not sure I would want a pen out of it. Keep up the great turning.

Mike

its_virgil

Thanks Mike and Greg. Those pens were turned from maple flooring that came from the gym floor where I taught high school mathematics. The gym was destroyed in a tornado in 2003 and I was able to salvage several hundred feet of the most figured boards before they were hauled to the dump...70,000 linear feet of 1" solid flooring. The gym was built in 1962. I wish I had the room to keep all of it.

Haven't tried oak flooring, but I have tried other types of flooring. Oak is just not a very pretty wood (usually), although I have found some really nice spalted or figured oak in which case makes nice pens.
Do a good turn daily!
don

bradh

I have turned a few pens from some off cuts from red oak hardwood flooring. They worked great. One is my first ever pen that I have used for two years now. Still going strong about 8 refills later.
Brad

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by RussFairfield
<br />So that's what happened to her. I was wondering. She was a good resource for wood and information

Yes, if I remember correctly, her name was Judith Manhart. She seemed like a very nice person and had a good business. She belonged to a wood trading forum I moderated and we 'talked' frequently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom