How to stabilize?????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

shawndakin

I just turned a 1 piece slimline out of spalted maple. When i got down to the final passes, the piece exploded on me. I used CA while i was turning but to no avail. Ive heard guys say they stabilize there own blanks. How do you do it and what do u need to accomplish this task? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

I send wood to be stabilized professionally. I would rather be turning than stabilizing. I have turned lots of blanks stabilized "home made style" and they do not compare to those professionally done.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

paps

I have stabilized blanks by soaking in a solution of approximately 30% alcryloid B72 in acetone. Helps if you can use a vacuum to pull the air out.

Fred

If you are doing only a few blanks it would be cheaper all the way around to just send the blanks out to the professionals. Several IAP members fit this category and they are know to us all here. Stay within the 'IAP family' if you possible can.

But if you want to play around you would need a vacuum or pressure pump and suitable vessel, chemicals - they smell and can be quite hazardous to use, time. About $125-150 dollars to get started.

Top Bottom