How to square small stock for segmentation?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vthowe

So I'm taking a crack at some segmentation. I tried to use my table saw w/ sliding jig to split a square blank down the center but seems it's not dead on. I just squared up my table saw / jig but obviously I'm still off.

That seems to be a difficult process and probably dangerous as well, was wondering what you all did for this type of work? I do have a band saw but not sure how that works w/ these small pieces either?

Thoughts, tips?

My goal for this first attempt was to slice one blank down the middle for the outside of my new blank(segmented) and then slice another blank down the center and sandwich it between the first blank...essentially would be just a 3 stripe blank.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
This is the way I did it for over a year and it is very difficult to get a straight cut that is the same size by the time you get to the other end of the blank. I finally bought a band saw and segmenting life has gotten a whole lot easier + I can cut with accuracy whatever thickness I want.

vthowe

I presume you make the entire line and use a clamp or something to hold it and run it through your band saw, not trying to use a fence?

plano_harry

I made a simple sled to run against my bandsaw fence. It is just a 2 inch wide piece of wood with a short 1/8" thick block glued on the edge that is facing the blade of end nearest me (like a stop block). I set the fence so the block will just clear the blade as I slide the sled down the fence. I sand one face of the blank and set the smooth face against my sled board just ahead of the block and push the sled down the fence holding a little side pressure on the blank with a scrap of wood. Perfect 1/8' thick slices every time. If your blade cuts aren't smooth, just put the rough side out and glue the smooth side to your next piece. Sand and repeat.

leehljp

Member Liaison
For me, in addition to a fine jig that was modified a couple of times, it is practice and experience along with a good eye. I usually cut two or three blanks from pine just to practice and get the kinks out.

Top Bottom