How should I cut this up?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

New Bill

Just picked up a olive wood cutting board. How should I cut this up to yield the best blanks. It's a little less than 5/8" thick so I'll be limited on pen styles.

14" on top edge. 5 1/2" left edge.

Thanks for any input.

409079062.jpg
[/IMG]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

New Bill

Take a sheet of paper and cut out a rectangle the size of the blanks you want to cut. Put it on the wood. Move it around and rotate it. See what orientation looks best to you.

Me? I would cross cut the left side and angle cut the right side (to get longer blanks and for some variety).

Ed

I like this idea. I angle cut the right side. Turning a slim right now. Going to resist the temptation to chop it all up and cut as needed.

Thanks for the replies!

plantman

I agree with ED's method of using a template in order to find the best layout, however, instead of paper I use a piece of clear plexyglass cut to the width and length of the blank you want. I always keep different templates in a drawer for different pen kits. Move it around on your wood, and with a pencel mark the best grain for a blank on your board. Keep in mind that many pen blanks are two pieces, so the shorter pieces left over can be also be used. I, myself, would choose cross or angled cuts to give you the most amount of grain change in your blank, by the time you turn down a straight grain cut to size, you will loose most of the uniqueness of your board. If you choose to cut cross grain or angled cut, I would stablezise or weight down the blanks or they may quickly warp. Should make some interesting pens. Another route you could take, being that your wood is so thin, would be to glue a contrasting material between two blanks. 5/8ths + 5/8ths + a 1/16th or 1/8th will give you a blank over 1 inch thick plus by the width of your blank cut. Jim S

Last edited:

robutacion

Just picked up a olive wood cutting board. How should I cut this up to yield the best blanks. It's a little less than 5/8" thick so I'll be limited on pen styles.

14" on top edge. 5 1/2" left edge.

Thanks for any input.

Beautiful piece of Olive wood...!

I would love to know from where these cutting boards come from, China doesn't have Olive wood, and I doubt they would be buying it from Italy, Spain, Portugal or other, to make cutting boards, no way in hell, those are sourced from somewhere where, Olive wood is abundant and all the work is done manually, old style artesian shops from some European villages.

The boards being a little thin for pen blanks, is just a coincidence, the people making them are not deliberately making them like that so that they couldn't be use for pen making, knowing where these are made, one could easily contact them and request the boards to be made a little thicker, or a little extra cost, off-course, as they would make less boards from a log...!

Now, 5"1/2 wide and 14" longboard, without cracks (well, as far as I can see...!) that alone is something else however, this cutting board shows clearly that is 1 half of the log, the sapwood on the bottom of the pic and the log's center towards the log pith, at the top of the image.

Now, from the width of the sapwood, the log that board was cut from, should have been approx. 12" to 15" wide, they normally don't use any wood on the vicinity of the pith, 4" and sometimes more, they know, is from where the wood will be forced to crack.

What this mean is that, the logs are of considerable size therefore the trees have to be very old, someone, somewhere, in a remote village, is cutting/using very old perfect Olive wood to hand-craft cutting boards and I'm sure some other hand-made items, someone from the "city" (businessman) is buying all this poor folk(s) is doing, paying him peanuts and sell its items to big stores, making good money that I'm sure, it will be a lot more than what he pays the folk doing them, with his own Olive wood (99% of the cases).

I'm not sure, how much you paid for it, I remember to have read something in the vicinity of $15.00 or so, how many middle man there were before you the customer...???, at least 2, I doubt the poor fellow making these, will get $4.00 per board finish, including wood. I don't have any stores selling these boards here in Australia (not as far as I know), if I had, I would be tracing these boards to its origin, and I would certainly, visit the artisan/woodworker shop and share a cup with him, I'm certain we would have a very interesting conversation...!:wink::biggrin:

As for the "best" way to cut that board, is just no best way, as everyone would have a different opinion on the issue, and that's OK, there is no right or wrong but, simply preferences and they vary from person to person.

I like straight lines but, I would probably cut this board as shown in my attached pic, the grain on that board would look great with a slight angle so, this would be my option...!

409079062.jpg

PS: I know, I wasn't asked to provide a possible route these Olive wood cutting boards, may have travelled to reach you, some would say, irrelevant, others may think is all a story, they couldn't care less and that OK by me however, I care, I know better and maybe, just maybe, some people would find interesting to know that far, its all part of life, huh...??:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Last edited:

New Bill

Thanks for the informative post George. Always interested in learning about the wood we use.

This cutting board came from Italy according to the product tag. See pic for website and email info. Maybe you can work out a source.

Bill

409094313.jpg
[/IMG]

Top Bottom