How should I cut this??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Efletche

One of the guys I work with has a neighbor who lost a very large hackleberry tree during the hurricanes. According to him, most of the upper tree has already been removed, but most of the trunk is still there. He gives me the impression the tree is atleast three feet in diameter. Any ideas on how to cut this? Should I just slice it in 6 inch sections or try to cut it as slabs? Keep in mind, this will be my first time using a chain saw, so I want to stick with the easiest method of cutting.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wayneis

No disrespect but if this is really three feet in diameter then I think that you would be nuts to tackle it as your first time with a chain saw. Start out with something a lot smaller, I can't impress on you enough how dangerous a chain saw can be. Besides at three feet, you would need a pretty good size saw to be able to handle it.

Wayne

Efletche

I'd hate to miss out on this would. I could let my friend use the chainsaw and cut it for me.

ilikewood

I will have to agree with Wayne on this one. Three feet is very large to try and cut as a first time chain user. PLEASE BE CAREFUL!! I am quite experienced with a chain saw, and things that large still bother me. It is amazing how fast a chain saw can kick when you start getting the tip of your saw into the log (unless you have a 3 foot bar or longer). It may we worth the effort to have a professional come in and slab it up for you. This could save you tons of work as a pro could slice it up in a matter of a few minutes whereas someone like me, it could take days.[:)] (well, at least according to my wife)

Efletche

I just spoke to one of the guys in the Echo department. He also runs a nursery. He says he'll come cup it for me if he can have a chunk for turning too. Still, should I have hime cut it in 6" slices or in slabs like regular wood? Or maybe both for different grains?

ilikewood

You might want to consider longer slabs...around 12". This gives "room for error" and allows you to make a little more different cuts. You will need to treat this wood fairly rapidy as checking is always an issue with fresh cut wood.

jwoodwright

I'm with the "get a pro" group. 3 ft sounds small, until you get into it. Wood that size needs more that a chainsaw, you need wedges and more importanly, specialized knowledge/experience. I tend to err on the safe side...[:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom