How to ship a pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tbfoto

What is the best, safest yet least expensive way to ship a single pen. I'm making pens as monthly prizes for a different hobby that I'm involved in where I'll be shipping a pen each month to a different person.
Will the post office run it through a machine and damage it if it's just in a padded envelope? I'm thinking I'll have to make small cardboard boxes for each pen.
How have you mailed a single pen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

You don't need to make a small cardboard box. In my experience, you can use a folded-over piece of corrugated cardboard and a small padded envelope. The pen should be wrapped in some of that flexible thin styrofoam before you put it between the folded cardboard ... or better yet, buy a small made-for-the-purpose (black) velvet pen bag ... you can buy them for under $1 each from many of our suppliers.

plantman

What is the best, safest yet least expensive way to ship a single pen. I'm making pens as monthly prizes for a different hobby that I'm involved in where I'll be shipping a pen each month to a different person.
Will the post office run it through a machine and damage it if it's just in a padded envelope? I'm thinking I'll have to make small cardboard boxes for each pen.
How have you mailed a single pen?

The envelope is fine, just wrap the pen in a little extra bubble wrap so it won't slide around if not inclosed in a case or box. If it is a more expensive pen, insure it and ask for delivery conformation and tracking. Jim S

BigNick73

The few I ship I do in a small flat rate box. I put the pen in one of those felt bags and put plenty of newspaper on top and bottom, really stuff the box so nothing can move.

You can order the boxes from USPS.com for free and have em delivered. I also bought some "click n ship" labels so I can buy the postage and print it out at home. It's $5.25 to ship a box maybe cheaper options out there but I don't have to go to the post office.

csr67

The few I ship I do in a small flat rate box. I put the pen in one of those felt bags and put plenty of newspaper on top and bottom, really stuff the box so nothing can move.

You can order the boxes from USPS.com for free and have em delivered. I also bought some "click n ship" labels so I can buy the postage and print it out at home. It's $5.25 to ship a box maybe cheaper options out there but I don't have to go to the post office.

That's my method. I put the pen in a velvet pen pouch, then in a 3"x7" ziplock bag from Amazon. My card goes in the bag also. All that goes into a small flat rate box with padding. I pay $5.25 with online click/ship. Half page white labels from Amazon make printing labels very simple.

WriteON

Ditto on the flat rate box. Supplies are free. They'll pick up at your door. I never had a problem. Set up a USPS account.

MartinPens

USPS worked for me for a while with the flat rate box and the click and ship labels. It stopped working for me when one went missing and getting reimbursed was nearly impossible. Since then I've changed to FedEx. I think everyone has had good and bad experiences with most delivery options. FedEx for me seems to be professional, provides me with a tracking number and since my pens sell at a good price I like to know where they are and feel a little better about reimbursement if one gets lost. I realize I'm using the system a little bit but I like to get the small flat rate boxes from USPS and put them in a FedEx pack. The best part about FedEx for me is that when I go down to my local FedEx shipping location, which is in a professional plaza with plenty of parking, I feel like I can actually talk to someone who will resolve issues and I really have never had that feeling at the post office. If you are shipping a $20 - $50 pen then USPS is an economical option. I spend a few more dollars to use FedEx home delivery or business delivery for a $200-$300 pen and find I can usually do that around $10 - $15 shipped anywhere in United States. FedEx packaging materials are free as well. And I can do a click and ship label just like I did with USPS with my account.

Last edited:

Dan Masshardt

I use both flat rate boxes and padded bubble mailers. Others will tell you not to use them but I've mailed probably close to 100 pens in bubble mailers with never one problem.

However, please do not mail a pen in a paper envelope. Those to through the sorter that can rip them open.

PapaTim

I ship the way MTViper does, with a pen tube in a padded envelope. USPS first class in the domestic is $2.04 online without insurance and an extra $0.75 with it. I've shipped as far away as Tasmania, Australia and Gibraltar with no problems.

Top Bottom