How to save a blank?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DSurette

I'm just getting into pen turning and up until now most of my questions have been answered through this forum. What a great resource. I'm sure this has been addressed before but I just can't find it. I have an Irish Bog Oak blank that has a couple of small cracks (checks?) along the length of it. They are real small but I think that when I start turning it, it will come apart. I've seen some posts that say minor problems like that can be remedied with CA. But none say how to do it. How do I get the CA inside the wood without some kind of vacuum device? Is it best to try a repair before glueing the tube into it?
Most of my pens so far have been Bethlehem olive wood and some purple heart left over from another project. They came out good and I have been giving them to friends and relatives. Now I want to try this IBO for an Irish friend and have run into this problem.
Thanks,
Dave Surette

Lenny

Small cracks can be filled with THIN CA glue. Try letting it run down into the cracks and do a few coats before gluing the tubes in.
As you turn you will probably want to apply more as other cracks are exposed.

Leviblue

Local Chapter Leader
I've only been turning pens for a short time as well, but have had success with the CA. I apply the thin CA to the crack in the blank, let it dry add a little more, let it dry and so on until it looks like the wood has soaked it in as well as filled in some of the crack. Once I have the blank drilled and the tube glued in and ready to turn, I add thin CA occasionally to the turned blank. This keeps the wood area solid and has helped with tear out. Also, be sure to keep your turning tools sharp so they cut rather than tear at the wood. Stop the lathe occasionally to check the cracked area and apply more CA. It was a process in itself, but the pen blank I had turned fine and the small crack looks like a grain line in the wood.

Good luck and have fun with the hobby.

monark88

I was doing a Designer Elite out of Thuya(waxy/brittle), when a small chip came out near the tip. After saying Aw shucks, I got some ca and fine sanding dust. I alternated the ca-dust-ca. Sanded a bit and did this a 2nd time. I put back on lathe and turned. I can only see what looks like a dark line. This Thuya burl has a lot of dark lines anyway.

Top Bottom