How to (Possibly) Ruin a Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

AngryRhino

Last night I was super excited to turn a piece of spalted tamarind I recently got. Not just any piece of spalted tamarind though, THE NICEST piece of spalted tamarind I personally have ever seen. Crazy patterns etc through it, and not a cheap blank.

So, I go to drill my blanks, and am slightly distracted by my wife talking to me and my toddler running around in the other room. (He's not allowed into the shop.) I am putting it on a Baron kit, and I end up drilling the long blank to 15/32 instead of the short blank!

Frantically, I begin thinking of other kits I can use. The Imperial kit is much longer, so it's a no go there... Turns out the full size Majestic is just about the same length.

Going to order one from Ed & Dawn (Exotic Blanks was a huge help in this dilema,) but given that the smallest dimension of the short blank is 3/4", and the full size Majestic uses a 37/64 drill bit, it's going to be a tiiiiiiight squeeze.

Wish me luck!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
Never done that with a Jr Gent on the nib tube with the big bit...Oh noooo! Watch out for that tamarind...nasty toxic.

bobjackson

Passed Away Mar 5, 2020
In Memoriam
Good luck on the save. Most of us have done that a time or two. I usually make mistakes several times to see if it's just me or the pen blank faierie being mean.

Ambidex

Good luck Michael...step drill and patience...and hopefully we'll get to see pics pf the finished pen. I love spalted tamarind

AngryRhino

Well, after MANY trials and tribulations, I have finished this pen.

Turns out my blanks that were sized for the navigator were a little shorter than the ones for the majestic. This came in to play big time when I was assembling the pen, as the final wouldn't fit on due to the plastic tube on the center band being too long for the shortened blank.

It took a lot of fiddling and work, and this is the result. Let me know what you think of my "save" project.

t3Rn4KC.png

fjc5jyE.png

mNbh98Y.png

Top Bottom