How Is Osage Orange For Pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Spec Grade

I came into a bunch of Osage Orange wood recently.
Most of it is already cut into 1" X 1" X 48" lengths.
The grain is straight as an arrow, and it has been dried for probably 15 years.

Does it make good pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I think they make nice pens too . Take a look , and you decide .

Attachments

• IMG_0316-1.JPG
    IMG_0316-1.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 358

nevyen

Turns very well, but smells horrible when you drill it. So you probably don't want it and should send it me lol.
Timothy

Want to do some trading? I picked up some ebony. These sticks mostly 1"x1" x12 "
They came from a pistle grip manuf. Paid $5 an pound, and they way about 1 pound each. I'm told its almost imposible to get. PM me if your interseted.

I haven't been able to figure out how to post on here so all I can do is reply to post It says posting rules bottlm left of my screen, but I cant do anything with it. Any help would be greatly apprecated. Lol my spell cked isn't working either

keithkarl2007

Want to do some trading? I picked up some ebony. These sticks mostly 1"x1" x12 "
They came from a pistle grip manuf. Paid $5 an pound, and they way about 1 pound each. I'm told its almost imposible to get. PM me if your interseted.

I haven't been able to figure out how to post on here so all I can do is reply to post It says posting rules bottlm left of my screen, but I cant do anything with it. Any help would be greatly apprecated. Lol my spell cked isn't working either

Under the last post it says Add Reply, this gives the advanced reply setting, the other, Quick Reply is just that

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I came into a bunch of Osage Orange wood recently.
Most of it is already cut into 1" X 1" X 48" lengths.
The grain is straight as an arrow, and it has been dried for probably 15 years.

Does it make good pens?
It is actually used to make arrows, that is why you found it in those sticks I would guess. Very dense, very hard, turns well, but does smell a bit when you get it hot. Only down side is unless you use an UV inhibitor its bright yellow color will turn to a goldon brown as it ages.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Actually, it is used to make bows. The Native Americans preferred it for bow making. Another name for Osage Orange is bois d'arc, French for "bow wood". As mentioned above, the wood will turn rich, dark brown as it ages. It will not keep the bright yellow color, no matter what you do with it!

Rifleman1776

Curtis nailed it. I have cut and have quite a bit of OO and use it for many things. It makes great tool handles, mallets, etc. No matter what you do with it (other than lock in a completely lightless vault) the wood will darken to a chocolate brown. Turns well but does dull tools quicker than other woods due to a high silica content.

ZanderPommo

more often used for making bows, my other hobby
im making an osage longbow right now
arrows made of osage are very heavy and hard to straighten, some like them for hunting, but not many

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
As I've been previously cyber slapped a bit, I did leave the word HUNTING out. It is hard to straighten, but if the arrow is straight is in turn tends to stay that way. I meant Hunting arrows, as they are heavier and deliver an extra whopp. Other materials are much more suited for precicision and distance arrows. And yes it is more commonly used to make the bow itself, just not in the demensions op found it available in.

Last edited:

PTownSubbie

How long does it take for it to lose it's color? I am sure it depends on the amount of light but ballpark is what I am looking for. If I make a pen today, would it be a month, year or tens of years before it has appreciably darkened?

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Someone is sure to disagree with me but my experience has been within 6-12 months it really gets noticed it is changing. 10 years? Prolly looking at a very nice golden brown pen.(Still nothing wrong with it but it wont be bright yellow anymore.)

ZanderPommo

+1

in my experience bows start darkening to dark orange after a few months, turn golden brown after a couple years, and can darken to dark brown in many years.
i saw a 30 year old osage bow that resembled walnut in color, still very beautiful color, just not as vibrant i guess

gallianp

hunter-27,

I have been "cyber slapped" several times.. I am going to steal that term..

Thanks for the smile..

Paul

TurnedAround

It does "age" but if you have never turned a X cut piece, you are missing a cool experience. The chatoyance is amazing. Looks 1/4" deep. I stabilized the blanks in MinWax Hardener after I exploded the first two non-stabilized ones.

TurnaPen

Chatoyancy Definition

In gemology, chatoyancy (pronounced /ʃəˈtɔɪənsiː/, shə-TOY-ən-see), or chatoyance, is an optical reflectance effect seen in certain gemstones
Chatoyancy can also be used to refer to a similar effect in woodworking, where certain finishes will cause the wood grain to achieve a striking three-dimensional appearance.

Amos

Rifleman1776

How long does it take for it to lose it's color? I am sure it depends on the amount of light but ballpark is what I am looking for. If I make a pen today, would it be a month, year or tens of years before it has appreciably darkened?

You pretty much answered the question yourself.
In full light, such as near a window, it will begin darkening immediately and be very brown within a month.
An artists sketch pencil I use as my shop pencil (hard lead) is kept in the pencil pocket of my shop apron. It is out for only short periods of time for use then back in. So it receives relatively little exposure to light. It has sorta 'tanned' over the four years I have had it.
Hope that helps a little. Exposure to UV is what does the change. And, sorry, UV inhibitors in finishes don't really help much.

PTownSubbie

And, sorry, UV inhibitors in finishes don't really help much.

You answered my next question. Thanks!!

Can someone post a picture of something that has turned dark? I love the color of the pen that was posted here but am curious what it looks like after it turns. I purchased a decent sized piece from Woodcraft a while back and was planning to use some but want to know what the final product will be.

Rifleman1776

You answered my next question. Thanks!!

Can someone post a picture of something that has turned dark? I love the color of the pen that was posted here but am curious what it looks like after it turns. I purchased a decent sized piece from Woodcraft a while back and was planning to use some but want to know what the final product will be.

I don't think I have anything around that has turned dark.
Just think 'walnut'.

ZanderPommo

yes that has darkened but im surprised at how little. perhaps windows dampen the effect??? im not sure but ive seen it a whole lot darker than that. almost like Ipe-brazilian walnut, but it always looks stunning. i imagine at a certain point its a matter of taste. i know that as a costomer (had i never heard of this effect) it would probably be all the more interesting to own one.

only problem is (on bows anyway) it always stays much lighter under a leather grip, so watch where you store it. i imagine that even in direct sunlight the bottom would stay lighter. if its used (moves about) in the sun this shouldn't be a problem, i would imagine it should darken quite evenly.

man, now i got an urge to make some pens from those scraps.......

Zander

Top Bottom