How Much Tolerance In The Length Of A Blank?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crokett

I cast a blank with aluminum swarf embedded. I drilled it for a mesa and glued in a tube. I had some chip out when milling the end square - there was some swarf right at the end of the cut. I milled it down past the chipout and now have a blank that is about 3/32" short. Can I still use it, or is it going to be too short for the assembled pen?

Depends on the pen. Not familiar with the Mesa. If it's a ballpoint, the tube length is normally important and the refill (if it works at all) will most likely project from the tip an extra 3/32". That's a lot. Might not even retract fully. If it's a rollerball, it might be OK, but I have doubts. If it's a fountain pen, there's usually some "room" for the reservoir or cartridge so I'm thinking it would have a better chance of working. Some kits have spacers in the end (which could be removed or shortened).

Just did a quick check. It's a click ballpoint (like the PSI Gatsby?). Sorry, but I'm thinking it's not going to end well.

Last edited:

Whaler

You might get away with it on the Mesa kit. I have never done a Mesa but it is basically a Sierra which I have done hundreds of and there is some fudge room on a Sierra.

crokett

thanks Dick. I will turn it and see what happens. DMHIK but the mesa/sierras are not too difficult to disassemble if you need to, since to change the cartridge you pull the transmission so you can get something in easily to press the nib out. :redface:

Top Bottom