How much time do you spend in the shop?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

RPM

I'm a twenty five year vetran woodworker that just started turning pens a couple of months ago. I have managed to maintain a backorder of pen orders since producing what I felt was a salable product. I guess my problem is a good one, but I never seem to catch up to make myself a pen. Everytime I deliver an ordered pen, I seem to get an order for 2 or 3 more. I enjoy penmaking, but I also enjoy other woodworking and other activities along with a full time job. I manage to spend about 6-8 hours a week making pens and I've just about paid for my lathe, equipment and inventory of blanks and kits. How about the rest of you.
Richard

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TheHeretic

not nearly enough time!!!

I even had the last week off and still only managed a few hours.

I just laid out the blanks and kits to do 10 pens in the next day or so. AT least that is the plan.

Dean
Columbus OH

ryannmphs

Not enough!!

I spent 0 time doing any "real" woodworking this past weekend. Way too many "honey do" items and having a 9 month old daughter takes up much of my time.

I have been able to get close to 100 blanks cut over the past week. I managed to get my Bandsaw in working order and started going at it. *sigh* too much wood and not enough time to turn it *sigh*

Ryan

BogBean

Hi RPM,
I hope to spend about 5 hours a day in the shop. I will take weekends off. I am still trying to turn out a product that I would be proud to sell. First it was the fit and now it is the finish that is giving me problems. Thanks to Lou (DC Bluesman) I am on the right track now. I hope to have some pens on the market next week. Which pen is your best seller?...

Gary

My shop time is pretty much limited to weekends. I still have that dang "job" that takes up too much time.

RPM

Chuck,
For me, the Baron, PSI Longwood and the Americana Rollerball have been selling themselves. But that may be because that is what the people have been seeing me deliver to people that have placed orders.
Richard

RPM

I have no idea if I'm ripping my self off or not, but I've sort of set a precidence and the people buying my pens are telling me that I'm underselling myself. I'm getting $45 for the Barons and Rollerballs and $25 for the longwood. For something I enjoy doing, I feel that I am adequately compensated for my efforts. To be honest, I did not do alot of pricing research.
Richard

tipusnr

The amount of time I spend in the shop seems to go in spurts. It is dependent upon how many projects I have "hanging fire" and what other commitments I have made.

Lately sinus problems have kept me continually tired as well but "spring's a'comin'"!

jrc

I spend 6 to 10 hours a day and 5 or 6 days a week in my shop a week making pens. I should be burnt out by now but I'm not. The way I look at it is each pen is a new pen and everyone tells me pens are the perfict gift.

opfoto

I don't have any real time... !$%&**# job is getting in the way of the hobby..... aaaaarrrgggghhhhh......... I hate when that happens!!!!

btboone

>I don't have any real time... !$%&**# job is getting in the way of the hobby..... aaaaarrrgggghhhhh......... I hate when that happens!!!!

Me too. The only problem is that I'm in the shop all those hours! Double !$%&**#

melogic

My wife and I will generally average 8 to 16 hours a week in our shop. We generally cut blanks, glue tubes in and mill the blank ends on a lot of pens. Then we will both get in the shop and have 2 lathes turning and finishing pens and putting them in the little bags with the rest of the kit parts. Then we will go back later and put the pens together. Or while we are at a show we can put the pens together.

WoodChucker

I'm retired and spend a lot of time in my shop, but it's not always turning pens. I also enjoy woodworking and have been doing that for over 25 years.

I'm in and out of the shop several times a day and I try to mix it up between pen turning and woodworking. But as you know, when you get hooked on pen turning you tend to put other things off as long as possible, which is why I never get caught up. [:D]

Anyway, I'd have to say at least 5 to 6 hours every day I spend in the shop doing some sort of woodworking and pen turning.

PenWorks

I'm ussually in the shop 3 nights a week, about 4-6 hours a night, and if I can half a day on Sat & Sun. that's enough for me.

Anthony

Brent

Since I am home know still recovering from my second back surgery I spend about 1-3 hours in my shop. but when i get back to work it will be back to normal. about 1-2 hours once or twice a week and some on saturday I am hoping to go back to work the first of march. I am now waiting for the board of directors to decide if they are going to take me back with the restrictions the doctor has put me on

Rifleman1776

I'm retired and belong to a number of civic organizations that take a lot of my time. I am also a writer, right now trying to complete my second novel. As far as time management is concerned, my goal is to write in the mornings (after newspaper and coffee, of course), then work in shop in afternoons. That is dependant on other obligations. Doesn't always work out that way, though. Yesterday, I was feeling just plain tense and needed therapy. Shop time all day. Made some pens and a couple duck calls. Felt good.

rtgleck

Hmm... Not enough time and then found out my wife and I are expecting our 2nd child (1st just turned 1 last month)... So 2 within 2 years I'm thinking I'm going to have a lot less time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom