How much spindle travel needed?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkRyan

I'm looking at getting a table top drill press and I'm a bit perplexed abouthow much spindle travel I need. I know 2 inches isn't enough, but how much do I need? What is the longest pen, the Polaris?

I've been using my ShopSmith in horizontal mode, and I'm not the happiest with it. I found Roybi drill press at Home Depot with 3.25 spindle travel, but it is $149 and I was hoping for under $100.

I've read the posts here about spindle travel, but no one ever mentioned what is exactly needed, plus most directions I've read don't tell how long the tubes are.

Thanks,
Mark

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

I have just been through this same problem myself after finally deciding the my 2" drill was just not to my liking. The Ryobi was the unit I settled on and had a trip planned to the BIG ORANGE to pick one up when I happened across a an eBay deal for a HF DP. The seller was only 25 miles from home so I didn't have to pay for shipping.....which would have been a bear......weighs on the order of 100 lbs. This is a HD DP with a 3/4 HP motor and 16 speeds.....somewhat more expensive that the Ryobi; but if you wait for one of the HF 20% coupons....which show up pretty regularly.....and have a store close by, I think it is a better deal. Here is a link so you can see what I am talking about:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38142

Rifleman1776

You didn't ask, but that has never stopped me from offering an opinion.....[;)]
Suggest you reconsider the table/bench top press. My Grizzly is a fine drill press but I made an error in judgement by buying the bench top model instead of floor model. The floor models are much more versitile. With Grizzly the extra cost was only about $20.00. In fact, I'm considering buying the same model in a floor version and selling this one.

Jerryconn

I'm with Frank, The floor model is a better option. You can buy or build a jig/vise the hold the blanks and drill them through in one setup. I too bought a bench model & I use it solely for my end mills.

woodwish

I now use a floor model with 3.25" travel and it has done every pen I have tried to drill in one step. Although I used a 2" travel on a cheapo bench model for a long time, usually have to raise the table after I drilled as fas as it would go. I think 3.25" is about the standard for most floor models, most bench models seem to be about 2" max.

Firefyter-emt

Just my input here. I just returned a Craftsman 10" drill. Steer clear, it is serious junk. That said, so far the 12" one is fairly impressive. Mine is rock solid (for now) and has a great keyless chuck. I was rather taken back with the quaility of the chuck to be honest. It also has a goose neck lamp bolted to the side which can come in handy. Mine has just a little over 2 1/4" This works well as the slimlines & cigars can be done without moving the blank up. (although the bit has to be pretty much on the blank to start drilling)

Pipes

I bought the Hitachi at Lowes with the 3 1/4" quill travel and its a great drillpress IMO but its about double your budget at I think I got it for 200 bucks on sale .... But no matter what you do IF you can buy a floor model !!!

http://affordablepipes.com/

GBusardo

I use a 2 1/2 travel model I had gotten free. If I were to have to buy a drill press, I would go with a Griz full sized one. If you cannot possibly go over 100 bucks and have to get the 2 1/2 model, no big deal, I drill the two inches, slide the blank up the bit and slip a piece of plywood under my vice and finish the hole. Haven't really had any problems.
Good luck, its always funn to buy new tools
Gary

Dario

We all want the best but being on a tight budget and needing a DP right away, I got the Delta table top with 2-1/2" quill travel. There are days that I regret getting it but it serves the purpose and drilling will just take a few seconds longer.

It is a GIANT leap from my old DP...which uses a handrill [:D][V]. It did serve me well for more than a year and got me started [:)].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom