How much sanding is enough

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

blodal

Is there a rule of thumb as to how long to sand with each grit? I wonder if I am doing too much with the lower grits. I sometimes end up with sanding marks showing. I do sand along the blank with the lathe off to remove circular marks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Just long enough to erase the marks left by the previous grit. The new shallowed marks will be erased by the next grit and on and on.

One thing to remember is to clean the piece and sandpaper before starting. There may be some grit from a previous sanding that is left there and that can cause problems.

alamocdc

This depends on a number of things. One of which is the type and density of the material. Some will be ready to move to the next grit in a few seconds, some may take minutes. When one grit gives you a uniform appearance, move to the next, etc.

vick

Lower grits could meen alot of thing if you are starting at 80 or 120 you will have a lot of sanding to do because you are leaving some pretty big scratches. I usually start with 220 and recomend starting there if at all possible. I spend quite a bit (couple minutes maybe) with 220 and 400 spinning and a couple more minutes lengthwise. I only do about 30 seconds through the micromesh grits then the length wise sanding for another 20 or 30.

johnson

If you hit brass you may want to back off a little.[:D] If you do your final cutting with a sharp skew, you should be able to start at 220 and go up from there. Compressed air helps get rid of the dust or wipe down with DNA between grits. If you are using MM, remember to use a low rpm or the heat will ruin the MM.

Pipes

I know I ask goofy questions BUT here goes !! I have seen this compressed air thing a few times I use my air compressor ! Do you guys mean canned air that would be very expensive ??? I asking this because most shops I been in don't have air compressors well not many ! I use one a LOT for other stuff specialy my pipes !

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Pipes, the mention usually means an air compressor. I regard my air compressor as very necessary, from airing up my vehicle tires to cleaning the pores of the wood on my turnings. Yeah, canned compressed air would be expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom